Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions about Yorkville 800 watt head please.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by furiously funky, May 19, 2004.

1. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    Have we hear at TB formed an opinion yet on the new 800 watt head by Yorkville? It seems nice, tubes in some of it, only 25 lbs, and inexpencive. I havnt trundled down to the music store to try one out, but i would love to be armed with info if anyone has tried them. What tone are we talkin?? etc...
    thanks
    -marty

2. probly the same as the xs400h just louder

3. Lue

Lue

Sep 30, 2003
    The XS800H has a couple of new features that will probably make it sound little different then the xs400h, the bass resonance circuit and the input select switch, tube or SS. It is definitely louder and a lot more headroom, Rev Groove has tried both the amp and the xc808 perhaps he can elaborate more. :D

4. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    well, my next question would be, what does the bass resonance circuit do? i've heard talk of it before, but dont really understand it. Apparently it offers more flexability, (but dont all features on an head?)
    thanks for the posts so far. and josh, i understood that the 400 was a little different than the 800 as Lue has confirmed.
    anyone else please?
    -marty

5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I got to try this puppy out last week...made comments in another thread but I'll elaborate here as well...

Lots of new features over the XS400H, this is NOT just a power upgrade, although the extra loudness and headroom is AMAZING!!! A totally different amp from the 400W model, ith lots of extra features.

The Bass resonance knob lets you adjuste the bass response of the cabinet(s) you're using. I tried it with the XC808 and a 2x12 prototype, and both together. Definitely a valuable feature! Along with the Scoop control and the 5 band EQ, you're not going to be lacking for tonal options.

There's no clip light per se but even better there's LEDs to show the input level (friend of mine suggested that one...)

The two fans remove the need for heavy heat sinks like in the XS/BM400, so even though its more power, it is lighter...which is a good thing! And they used the best fans available, no noise whatsoever!

While I'm posting, I should point out that the XS808 is nothing to sneeze at...nice, deep lows, crisp highs, and punch mids...everything you want in a bass cab! With the revised cabinet design to make moving it easier, I'd be hard pressed not to include one of these on my GAS list. 800W/4ohm...the most powerful BassMaster cab yet!

As i said in the other thread, my XS400T/2x12 rig sounds killer...but I have some serious gas for the XS800h/xc808 rig now that I have to work through the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor). :D

6. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    How did the prototype 2X12 sound on it's own and did you try it with a B string? Also how did it sound together with the XC808 cab? Oh ya. WAF has screwed up my calculations time and again, it is the great unknown.
    Thanks,
    Rezdog

7. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Oh, it sounded good. Handled a B string with no problem at all. Sounded really good with the XS800H running along with the XC808, only that dropped the power and impedence down to around 600W and about 2.67 (?) ohms. But it still sounded really Phat!. Felt like to take the entire rig down to my old church in TO and lay down some gospel grooves...but it can also give a very raw and edgey sound if I wanted to go classic or contemporary rock...gotta love that separate tube overdrive circuit!!!

8. Lue

Lue

Sep 30, 2003
    Hey SMASH, the bass resonance control enables the amplifier to respond via positive feedback to the impedance of the cabinet, and the Z of every cabinet is unique and thus by adjusting the control one way or the other you can control how tight or loose the cabinet sounds very much like the variance in response of cabinet when powered by a solid state amp and a tube amp. The resonance control on the XS800H is labeled loose at one end and tight on the other, and yes these are not technical terms rather layman’s terms that essentially describe that function. And yes you are right there is a low pass filter in the feedback to control only the low frequencies,

Do you get a company car now that you are a MODERATOR?

9. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    cool so far thanks!
    i checked out the other thread on this stuff, but it wasnt quite what i was after. i would like to grab the 4x10 and 1x15 to go with the head. any other ideas? (other than the 8's already talked about)
    thanks for explaining that function, i didnt really understand what it was up to.
    -marty

10. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    So I used the wrong laymen's terms. Lue said it right, so what he said!

The knobs on the prototype where much tighter and felt better...no noise whatsoever. I can only imagine that the production model will be the same or better.

Try it. If you like it, cool, if not, c'est la vie. From your previous postings, I guess maybe Yorkville isn't your cup of tea, but chacon a son gout (whoa...deja vu!!!)

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im guessing the 600 at 2ohms is because it isnt terribly stable at 2 ohms so they say only to push it that hard.

Makes sense to me. Most amops can be run below their rated impedance, just not as hard.

Peace
    Nick

12. soundwave

soundwave

Oct 2, 2004
    So did you like the yba200 with the xc808 best or the xs800/xc808 best? I had the xs400 head and liked it ok but only when I used sansamp preamp instead of its own input circuitry WITH MY BASS. With another bass the input circuitry sounded ok. Seemed to be sensitive to active vrs passive inputs or the different pickups.
    Michael

13. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Definitely the XS800H. The YBA200 is nice as well, but I found the YBA200 lacking in mids...still, a great amp!

14. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Well, gotta disagree with you there. I play both of my fivers thought the XS800H and an XC808, and have no complaints about the low end whatsoever. In fact, I even push things with a sub harmonic synth, a BBE 362, and a compressor. Clean or with effects, I get wicked lows and good tone across the entire spectrum. I boost the low end and don't have any problems with the 8x8. Did you try using the Resonance control?

Also, the LEDS were an idea of one of my co-workers. So far, I've only heard good things about it...but chacon son gout!

Glad to hear the QC was more to your liking. I heard that they did change a few things, and I can see the difference between the first run and the recent ones based on what's in the store now. Hopefully, QC will continue to make sure that good product goes out the door.

15. sitback

sitback

Dec 1, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Good review SMASH, I got to play a little with the xs800H and the xc808. I agree with most of the points that you mentioned, but I got to say I loved the Vu meter on it…..

I did however try a couple of features that you may or may not have tried, the SS/tube input select switch and the bass resonance control.

The SS/tube input switch, demonstrated the clear high headroom input (ss) as compared to the more smooth and rounded tube response, I found it to be more apparent the harder I played.

The bass resonance control was the interesting one, I stared with the control full cw (loose) and gradually rotated to full ccw (tight), the difference was clear, loose and fate at one end, tight and defined at the other. I did not have much bass boost but I had the scoop almost full, from what I understand that has a 6-9 dB boost at 50 Hz and 3-6 dB boost at 5 KHz with a notch at 400 Hz. I liked the bass resonance control best at 12:00 O’clock. That may explain why you couldn’t get any definition at the low end.

<O:p></O:p>

I agree the amp is quite on both counts, hiss and fans. I however loved the xc808, I thought it had definition at the bottom end and it sure was punchy, I guess that all depends on how you play.

I also tried the ybx1510 with the xs800h, I was not impressed at all with that cabinet, I have to agree with you on that one.

I’ll be going back again to spend some time checking both in detail, and if all goes well maybe there will be a trade in.:D

16. Lecollectif

Lecollectif

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto

How much does one the xs800 and xc 808 go for new at Long & McQuade?

17. soundwave

soundwave

Oct 2, 2004
    I noticed the same thing with the xs400 with 2 15's when I played with a MM copy passive pickup. Just no lows and no clear definition. But when I used a PV Cirrus with active pickups the same setup sounded simply awesome. By the same token, I could run the MM copy through a Sansamp RBI and then through the xs400; immediately clear, punchy & extened lows.
    My point is I wonder if you tried a different bass or 2 through that setup if you would find you liked it better? Just a thought.
    Michael

18. Juddium

Juddium

May 24, 2004
    this amp out yet? if it is, where on God's green earth is it?

19. +1!

20. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    $855 each in ON.