Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

opinions/advice wanted: envelope filter sound out of GT-6B (?)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Scott Lynch, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

Has anyone managed to get a good envelope filter sound out of their GT-6B? I honestly don't even know where to start. Since there's no setting for it i went through and fiddled around with some of the funkier sounding patches but didn't get much. My goal is to get as much versatility out of this damn thing as possible. I will stop at nothing! *sound herald trumpets* :D

2. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Congratulations- You've found the single weakest point of the GT6b. :D
    The best you can get is with the auto wah- fiddle about with the touch wah setting, customise to your squelchy desire- Which still probably won't be squelchy enough. They generally sound bit funkier with a touch of overdrive added.
    The synth can get some semi decent envelope sounds but it takes a long, long time to fiddle around with the settings- plus the tracking stinks. No qtron,mutron,meatball love to be found here I'm afraid.
    combine the synth/octave/touch wah and can simultaeneously make a drummers fall of their chair, and soundmen weep.

However what totally rock is the slow gear effect. Bring on the cellos.

Check out the slap effect too- ignore the presets entirely- they're the lowest. Compose your own slow it right down and loop it- put - any filter behind it and you'll have some very interesting sounds to accompany your playing.

Also recommend the humaniser and ring modulator combined- loop that, too- It kills.

Right that's all of my best secrets- Let me know anything you find.

3. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

the ring modulator - the thought of that thing makes me want to hit something. :D I've had some fun with the humanizer, that thing is cool in random mode. I think next time a play with my Gt-6B i'll screw around with the synth a little more. It's got a lot of features but like you said the tracking is pretty bad so it's a pain in the rear trying to mess with it. Oh well. Sounds like this red box is just full of suprises. :D

4. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    No way man- instant harsh noise to squeeze out of your pocket. It's a winner every time.