opinions - ampeg svp 1500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jjs, Sep 27, 2003.

1. jjs

Jan 26, 2003
    czech republic
    hi:) does anybody know the ampeg poweramp SVP 1500? I have possibility to buy one but I cant decide. I searched the web for more info/reviews but it seems nobody use it. Is it as good as QSC PLX 1602 (similar features) thanks for helping me! :bassist:
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The only 2 people that I know that have this power amp are Razor & myself.

I use it with an Ampeg SVP-PRO pre-amp & it's AWESOME!!!!!! More power than I'll ever need buit it's comforting to know it's there. I used to use an Ampeg SVT-IIPRO amp before the SVP-1500 & it sounded jsut as good for 1/2 the price & 1/2 the weight.
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Search the recent want to buy thread for some users of SVP-1500s...I believe that Nino-Brown is one of them.

According to my old Ampeg catalog, the SVP-1500 is rated:
    2x280 watts into 8 ohms
    2x480 watts into 4 ohms
    2x780 watts into 2 ohms
    960 watts bridged into 8 ohms
    1560 watts bridged into 4 ohms

It has 1/4 in. balanced inputs,
    1/4 in. and banana outputs (you'd probably have to use the banana plugs for bridging).

Complete internal protection (short circuit, DC offset and over temperature)

It is 5.25 in. tall (3 rack spaces) and weighs 33 lbs (15 Kg).

It has also been out of production for a number of years (the catalog does not have a date, but my 1995 catalog doesn't have the SVP-1500 in it).

On the other hand, the PLX-1602 has similar ratings (don't have them handy), is a modern, current production power amp that has onboard features like front panel level controls, XLR or balanced 1/4 in. inputs, input low cut filters (off, 30 or 50 Hz), input limiter, switchable stereo (dual mono), parallel inputs (one signal drives both power amp channels), bridge mode. Speakon outputs for individual channels and bridged output.

It takes up just 2 rack spaces (3.5 in.) and weighs just 21 lbs (just under 10Kg).

You probably can't go wrong with either amp, but there are a lot of happy PLX users here (including me, I have a PLX-2402).

Hope this helps!
  4. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    It's yummy good!! I run it stereo to power both of my SWR cab's (2x15 Big Bertha and 6x10 Goliath Senior both at 4 Ohms) and it's got tons of headroom. I've got a lot of stuff in my racks but I feed it with an SVP-Pro and anything above 4-5 on the volume knob makes me feel like vomiting. Nino and I use pretty much the same amp setup with the exception of all the effects units I have but basically with the SVP-1500/SVP-Pro combination you've got a much less expensive SVP-4Pro.:bassist:
  5. Razor

Sep 22, 2002