1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opinions? Ampeg V4B and Orange AD200B

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Plastalmonus, Jul 24, 2017.

1. So I know that bi-amping is generally with a bass amp for the lows and a guitar amp for the highs however I have been getting the urge to grab an Ampeg V4B to pair with my Orange AD200B. The idea being that I run the Orange through either a 1x15 or two 1x15s (depending on stage size) and the V4B either through a 2x10 or 4x10 (again depends on size). I was thinking to dial in big bottom end clean with the Orange and push the V4B into grindy dirt with more upper mids boosted. I thought that between the two of them I could get all the dirt I wanted without running pedals just through the Orange. Also would mean I could avoid using a crossover as I would with a guitar amp (well maybe... opinions on this also).

Now I know that running pedals is cheaper and it means a lot less gear to move around, but when has good thinking been part of being a musician :p

Do you guys think this could work? Could the 100 watt V4B push out enough dirt and volume to nicely balance with the AD200B pushed to cleans on the edge of breakup?

I was originally thinking of finding an Orange 100 watt guitar amp but love what I have heard of the V4B when pushed however this has only been on YouTube which isn't always the best representation.

Cheers :)

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Absolutely if you're using the V4B for dirt and not as much for lows it'll keep up.

3. Good to hear this from the man who knows Ampeg back to front :)

This sounds like it'll be great for my sound but bad for my wallet.

JimmyM likes this.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I can't help that your ideas are expensive :D

Alexander likes this.
  5. It could just as easily turn into a hot mess.

Even if it sounds great how are you going to get that tone to FOH? Even Billy Sheehan gets pushback from soundguys for wanting two mics.

6. I run a JDX with the AD200 already which sounds great. The V4B has a DI out built in. Could be times I don't even need a mic. But yeah you're right, could easy become unwieldy and I would definitely be trying before buying. Just a thought after seeing a few bands playing on the weekend who bi-amped with a guitar amp. Their tone was great but eventually it dawned on us that it was drowning out the guitar and there wasn't a lot of bass going on. Then after watching a Tool rig rundwn I saw he had a clean and dirty bass amp... so yeah, all pipe dreams right now but glad to hear it could be something to look into. :)

7. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Meh

Plastalmonus likes this.
  8. Ace contribution, buddy. Keep that poopie up!!

bobyoung53 likes this.
  9. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    done it before with svt and hiwatt, way better to get another cab and dime one amp.
    and ill stay away from the "mixing" topic but since i know what a 1x15 does and a 2x10 does as far as spl and actual usable bandwith
    not really a benefit in either or they both about the same...different but one doesnt have much more "highend" and the other " lowend"
    wanna here midrange magic..rail the ad200 into a EV 2x15 and never ever worry about, this cab that cab this cord that cord this thingy that thingy. those things work but just complicates things and not extremely beneficial.
    ive heard a AD200 dimed and would say, just that alone in a 2x15 or 4x12 or 810 would be a incredible more value to your wallet.
    likewise with a V4B. i mean after i restored and sold my second vintage V4B and heard that thing dimed through a 8x10 youd pretty much understand with my opinion is ....mehh cause its alot easier to get unbeatable tone with 2 cords. one for the bass one for the cab. all done.
    no mixing no clean this clean that no pedals. just a grind that a railed beam tetrode delivers. pretty simple same with the orange

10. Same comment as before but this time without the sarcasm :p

Ace contribution.

It's probably due to not being able to dime the AD200 volume wise that has led me to think about adding the V4B, something with less headroom, thus easier to get grind out of. Also I'm not particularly thinking that the 1x15s will be lows and the 10s will be high, it's just more that I like the AD200 with 15s and the 4x10 has a horn which could be beneficial for dirt.

I guess really it just comes down to liking a big sound and I considered this one way of achieving it. Asking here is really just a sounding board to see how much of a good/stupid idea it could be. Definitely will take your comments on board and maybe see what I can do with some creative dialling in of the AD200 before I walk the line of bi-amping.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well don't mistake the V4B for a quiet amp when you dime it :D

12. Definitely not meaning it'll be quieter, just that it'll reach its break up point much sooner than the AD200... at least I think it will.

13. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    yeah people think 170/200 watts of 6550 is not enough and actually its alot of push sometimes to much, depending on the situation.
    without sounding typical, but when pushing tube amps ive always gone back to sealed 10s no tweeter. and likewise always had love for midrange magic from a 2x15. put there was always a certain reaction i guess or feel i liked with a sealed cab when turning up tube amps. often thougt of doing a sealed 2x15. anyways ironically i got really great breakup with just a basic set of quad 6L6 with a 80/100 ish watt amp. sometimes even with a 810 it was lacking with loud drummers guitars etc.
    likewise i would try if possible to try to push a 2x15 with the orange or even a newer V4B.
    just think youd find a one head , one cab solution much more consistent and easy to manage, likewise better tone.
    and again might sound typical again but ive stood infront of 810 for years it just works. and on bigger stages played with mixing 810 and 412 guitar cabs. and everything was way fuller and consistent with just 2 810s when going ridiculous. finding a 2 ohm tap that isnt spongy thats another story lol

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    It will by about 3 db., provided both companies measure wattage the same way.

15. I'd maybe look at the Ampeg PF50T or even 20T wind off the bass eq on em. .. dime the master. ....I'm sure they'd provide what your after at a better volume for what you'd need. ... great DI's on em too.

eyvindwa, Plastalmonus and JimmyM like this.