1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinions and advice please!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by justabass, Nov 9, 2010.

1. justabass

justabass

Nov 7, 2006
    Nashville TN/Old Hickory TN
    Endorsing-Trace Elliot,Peavey Basses,PedalTrain,Starkey inears
    Got 2 basses i'm wanting to change up. I've never been much of a modder so I'd like some expert advice from some of you yall thats experienced a lot of different pickups...

1st bass is a Sadowsky MV5 with Nordstrand Big Singles...They are cool but too noisy and I just don't love them.

2nd bass is a 1994 Warwick Fortress One 5...Stock pickups and pre need changed as they are worn slap out. I was thinking Barts but not sure. Thanks!

Sadowskyms1.
    1995WarwickFortressOne5.

2. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I've always felt that part of Warwick's attitude and bite came from their pickups, so from my personal opinion I'd say you keep with MEC pickups and preamps for your Warwick. Can't really say much about the Sadowskys as I haven't played one before, but I think a pickup model change might help you like that one a bit more.

3. markanini

markanini

Jun 25, 2008
    Yeah, keep the MECs or aim for something simmilar in tone like Lace Alumitone perhaps. You need that type responce from a pickup anyway for slap.
    IMO you should tell MEC you wore out their electronics from slapping and if they have any pride for their product they should send you replacements free of charge. I mean they charge outrageous prices for standalone parts.

For the Sadowskys soapbar config there are many noiseless replacements from various brands all with their own take on responce. Take a moment to think if you wan't fat vs coherent/lively, trebles smooth vs sparkly vs gritty/edgy etc etc