opinions and advice

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by heath_the_great, Aug 1, 2005.

1. well, this is a bass/body i started to work on just for something to do but i really like the "finished" (i use the term loosely) result of what i have so far, so just any opinions or advice you might have will be really appreciated, what i went for was a jazz bass meets a warwick corvette but in a small bodied format ala a cort curbow.....anyway, heres my first rough draft and a photoshopped result

i doubt the pickup and everything is to scale..but its something along that size id like
  2. full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    I think you might suffer from a bit of neckdive when standing up
  3. That and with 22 frets it is unlikely that you've left enough room for the bridge to be mounted unless you are using a very short scale. With a 34" scale you'll need abou 9.5" between the last fret and the middle of the bridge.
  4. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    I saw the drawing the other day in "Basses". I just so happened to have a Nordstrand Musicman pickup in front of me at the time so I did a little scaling against what you had drawn. That body is seriously small. It scaled to something like 12" x 8". I realize you said that the pickups and bridge aren't to scale, but to me they look like they're to scale and the body is way too small. It's hard to comment on something when the first thing you notice is things are out of proportion. Right know it makes me think of a Zon "Vinny" bass.
  5. i like the shape, but it looks like it will be a really small body compared to the overall size
  6. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    It looks like you have something around 50 mm for the neck pocket - or less! For a bass, I say, anything less than 75 will be too weak.

You need a smaller bridge...

And the neck will dive like a lving dolphin.

But it's pretty!
  7. thanks, ill do some more work on it this weekend, i have a few tests to study for :rolleyes: ..yay...OH&S tomoro....

but i will try and keep the body fairly small...see what ill come up with over the weekend...one thing i really like is the color co-ordination, with the stained walnut body and the pearloid pickguard...which is something i havent seen much of...or might of, im just really tired right now :p...i like the head diving analogies :D