Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions and reviews on Neodium Speaker cabnets.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassMan257, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Ive been looking into getting a smaller/lighter cabnet (its funny, cause it seems everyone else wants huge cabnets)

Im not an old man yet, but lugging around a hundred pound cabnet has gotten to me... I own a Hartke 4.5XL pro series... its great... and sounds amazing... but, its huge and heavy... If i had a smaller cab, i could fit it in my car with my upright (which is a big factor)

I was looking into Avatar cabs... any suggestions?
    any problems with neodium cabs?
    whats the major cons?

I just want to know... Im not looking to shake walls... really really low end isnt exactly my thing... its nice, but not exactly what im looking for... (and for some reason, people at guitar center are making me hate it more and more... when a Kid is in there trying out a 8x10 cab and getting mad cause its bottoming out and "not having enough low end" Theres got to be something wrong... I mean, I almost fell over, but hey... anyways)

so yeah... i was looking into Avatars 2-12s... looks great for only 350 or so... especially if it out performs the porta bass series...

any information given is appreciated... I just want to learn what everyone thinks and why... Im planning on still running my hybrid hartke 3500 on it... for at least a while...

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
  3. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have 4 cabs with, and 3 cabs without.

NEO
    2x EA NL-210 - awesome deep and detailed tone.
    1x Accugroove Tri-112L - Full low end and crisp high end w'out being brittle.
    1x Avatar 210 NEO - This is an unbeatable value with tone embarrasingly comparable to some of my best stuff... noticeably not as nice, but for the price diff...

NON-NEO
    2x Aguilar GS112 - Pretty sure not a NEO - great tone, but a bit "thick" and lacks some definition.
    1x Avatar B112 compact - older "cube" - great tone, but cab design limits its usefulness in some environements.

I've owned both the standard Delta as well as the Deltalite (NEO) Avatar 210, as well as a Kappa Pro Avatar 210... all three. I sincerely disliked the Kappa Pro. Handles tons of power, but IMHO, the tone sucked. The standard Delta model was real nice, but the NEO blows it away in tone. If I was buying an Avatar today, I'd only consider the NEO cabs.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    there's a great little review of the avatar neo's in Bass World magazine w/ Mike Dirnt on the cover. check it out.

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I've ordered a Schroeder Light, but it's a few weeks out, so I can't comment...

6. Intresting. Can't wait for some 8x10s with Neo-speakers. Ampeg do you hear us? :)

7. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    I'm extremely pleased with my Avatar SB112 w/neodymium. It gives me plenty of everything I need.

8. you could allways buy 4 cabs of their 2x10 version.. that would only cost you about 2 grand... see, evidedntly ampegs neodium cabs are rubbish, at least thats what ive heard... ive played out of a couple, and they havent seemed bad... but if everyone is saying theres a huge difference for the better with the avatars... i must get one... cause i thought of the ampegs as nice amps... found them expensive, and then found avatarts as cheap, but evidently better...

I JUST DONT KNOW WHAT TO THINK:bawl:

9. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    While the neo drivers sound great, their diminished power handling capacity has caused me issues. I'm in the process of swapping all my drivers back to standard series magnet drivers now. I've had 2 neos go south on me. Bottom line is they sound great, but they can't put up with huge power levels.