1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opinions Before I Pull The Trigger ? (Fender Jazz Content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rydin4lifebass, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Once again I'm making a thread looking for opinions about a bass before I pull the trigger. Everyone who responded to my other thread was EXTREMELY helpful so I'm asking again. This is another MIM Jazz with a MX12 serial number from 2012. I blurred out the digits of the serial, but I do have the picture with it complete. Are there any red flags here that I'm not aware of? At first glance it looks like a good buy, but I always like more opinions. The one thing that looks a bit different is the bridge. For some reason, the screw threads look a bit darker than what I'm used to seeing. Could be my eyes or the picture, or nothing at all,but I do want to make sure this is all original. Thoughts?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    It looks like an all original MIM Jazz. The bridge intonation screws are indeed black on the current line, at least according to Fender's website, and the rest of the bass doesn't look any different than expected. Is this one that you can play before you buy?

rydin4lifebass likes this.
  3. I just picked up a 2002 model from a fellow TBer and they were lighter. The ones on my FSR jazz are also lighter, but the surrounding springs are darker (not sure of the year on that...2011 maybe?). I don't care about the color of the screw cosmetically, rather for originality...thanks for the info! Unfortunately, I can't play it as it's not local. I was going to make an offer and see what happened. Prices are all over the place though, thoughts on where to start on price?

crucislancer likes this.
  4. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Looks good to me.

5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    If it's in great condition, I'd start by offering $350 and see what the seller says...

6. He says "Excellent to near mint"....

7. Thanks for the responses so far. I just got another pic from the seller and the headstock is like my other two MIM's where the end of the headstock seems to in towards the fretboard. It seems that this is quite common and never a problem. Anyone else familiar with this?

8. LowEndOperative

LowEndOperative ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    I've seen a few Fenders that looked as though the headstock tilted slightly toward the fretboard instead of tilting back; I may have even owned one at some point.

9. I don't know that I've ever seen one tiling back...parallel at best, but most seem to be tilting. I just got one from a fellow TB member that is, my MIM FSR does it, and this one looks to as well. The string tree/retainer creates such an angle that probably makes it seem worse than it really is, but it seems to be there to some degree in a lot of situations...appreciate the input!

10. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Looks legit to me too. If it's five years old and looks that good, it was either babied or spent most of it's time in a bag or case. As long as all the electronics and truss rod work well, I think it'd be a good buy at somewhere around $350 or so. :thumbsup:

Spidey2112 likes this.
  11. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    As far as price goes, I picked mine up at Guitar Center last year for $250 bucks. Best deal I've found in a while, no wear, plays great, and even in a cool finish. ( I added the vintage pickguard ).

Rig II.

12. Beauty!....especially for $250. There was one on the classifieds for $275 that was great with the exception of possibly replacing one tuning machine, still quite the deal. I was at a GC in Harrisburg, PA a few weeks ago and the only thing that I was interested in was a SUB Ray4 in the mint color with maple fret board. The thing had a gauge on the front about the size of a dime down to the bare wood, the volume knob was working at some position and not at others, and the treble knob did not work at all.....and only $19 less than brand new...would never find a good deal on a decent Jazz at that place

13. Selling my American Special J on that "E" store right now. A lot more than what you`d spend on a MiM, but you`d be getting a lot more also.

14. sgtpepper

sgtpepper

Jan 22, 2010
    Mexico City
    Looks 100% legit. Go for if it is in a good price range for you.

15. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
  16. It's definitely in the price range, just have to pay a little extra for shipping. This would be my fourth bass in a month. The others are a Squier Affinity Jazz, Squier VM 70's Jazz, and a 2002 MIM Fender J. What's wrong with me???

Agreed....looks identical!

18. Offered $345, but he's firm at $360 plus $30 shipping...certainly not a bad price...just spent money on some other stuff though, so I'm undecided.