Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions: best combination of "Bang for the Buck" bass, head, and cabinet.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Chad Michael, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Ok mods, if this has been done before, give me the traditional scolding and / or just delete it.

TalkBass people:

Please list your selection of the best "Bang for the Buck" regarding a gigworthy bass, a head, and a cabinet. In the world of bass, as with other areas of life as a consumer / buyer, there is a "cost effective" price point in which you are getting the most value for your money.

My votes:

Bass: used Lakland Skyline 55-01

Head: used Gallien Krueger 800RB

Cabinet: used SWR Goliath II or III

Whether this thread lives or dies, maybe it will remind some folks that a 'bazillion dollars need not be spent to have usable tools'.... I like boutique and esoteric gear just like most of you, but let's be real bass players and ignore the G.A.S. for a minute. Let's talk about what will do the job without paying a premium for "Keeping up with the Joneses, trends, and scrapping yesterday's news ;) ."

Ok, start typing ....

2. My setup right now is kinda like "Best bang for the buck"

Bass: DeArmond Pilot Pro V

Head: '78 Peavey Mark III

Cabinet: Hartke 410VX

Edit: Got it for about $660

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    warwick rockbass corvette with sd 1/4 and retrofit hipshot hardware
    ashdown mag 300H head
    ashdown 4x8 mini cab.

Possible for less than £1000, good, versatile rig imo :)

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    well.... considering I have the bass I'll die playing and I feel as much love for my cabinet, you can really get more bag out of a buck for me.

so for me:
    Benavente 51 series fretless 6 & Schroeder 1210 w/ flavor of the week preamp and whatever poweramp

if you mean cheap and playable.... Yamaha makes some nice budget stuff as does and I dig my MAG series Ashdown stuff.

Actually, I think the MIM Fender P and J basses could carry about anything in a pinch!

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Bass: Used USA G&L. Insane amount of bass for the money.

Cab: EB/HD Audiophile cabs (2x10, 2x12, 4x10). Stooopid amount of cab for the money. Just unbelievable.

Head: Hmn... well, if I'm allowed, I'd say a SansAmp preamp (BDDI or RBI) + a poweramp. If not, I'd say a GK700RB is a steal and a half.

I'd gig through rig like that any time.

6. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    My votes are kind of idiosyncratic; I agree with Brendan fully.

bass: Ernie Ball S.U.B.- all you need from a Stingray at half the price,
    head:GK 800rb
    cab: Ashdown ABM BP1510HX