1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opinions: best combination of "Bang for the Buck" bass, head, and cabinet.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Chad Michael, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Ok mods, if this has been done before, give me the traditional scolding and / or just delete it.

TalkBass people:

Please list your selection of the best "Bang for the Buck" regarding a gigworthy bass, a head, and a cabinet. In the world of bass, as with other areas of life as a consumer / buyer, there is a "cost effective" price point in which you are getting the most value for your money.

My votes:

Bass: used Lakland Skyline 55-01

Head: used Gallien Krueger 800RB

Cabinet: used SWR Goliath II or III

Whether this thread lives or dies, maybe it will remind some folks that a 'bazillion dollars need not be spent to have usable tools'.... I like boutique and esoteric gear just like most of you, but let's be real bass players and ignore the G.A.S. for a minute. Let's talk about what will do the job without paying a premium for "Keeping up with the Joneses, trends, and scrapping yesterday's news ;) ."

Ok, start typing ....

2. My setup right now is kinda like "Best bang for the buck"

Bass: DeArmond Pilot Pro V

Head: '78 Peavey Mark III

Cabinet: Hartke 410VX

Edit: Got it for about $660

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    warwick rockbass corvette with sd 1/4 and retrofit hipshot hardware
    ashdown mag 300H head
    ashdown 4x8 mini cab.

Possible for less than £1000, good, versatile rig imo :)

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    well.... considering I have the bass I'll die playing and I feel as much love for my cabinet, you can really get more bag out of a buck for me.

so for me:
    Benavente 51 series fretless 6 & Schroeder 1210 w/ flavor of the week preamp and whatever poweramp

if you mean cheap and playable.... Yamaha makes some nice budget stuff as does and I dig my MAG series Ashdown stuff.

Actually, I think the MIM Fender P and J basses could carry about anything in a pinch!

5. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Bass: Used USA G&L. Insane amount of bass for the money.

Cab: EB/HD Audiophile cabs (2x10, 2x12, 4x10). Stooopid amount of cab for the money. Just unbelievable.

Head: Hmn... well, if I'm allowed, I'd say a SansAmp preamp (BDDI or RBI) + a poweramp. If not, I'd say a GK700RB is a steal and a half.

I'd gig through rig like that any time.

6. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    My votes are kind of idiosyncratic; I agree with Brendan fully.

bass: Ernie Ball S.U.B.- all you need from a Stingray at half the price,
    head:GK 800rb
    cab: Ashdown ABM BP1510HX