1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinions, Comments: EDEN WT550

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ebe9, Mar 25, 2006.

1. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    The title pretty much says it all.

I have been having a look at this particular head as an upgrade from my current more practice based setup and was just wondering if it is worth the price tag.

I have played it and loved it, I am just a little bit unsure at this stage and am looking for a bit more background from people have used it in more "real world" situations rather than in the controled environement of the music store.

Also if any other recomendations as far as other heads in a similar "quality" range could be made/suggested it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Anyone?

3. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I just picked a used Eden WT-550 up a couple of weeks ago. I had been wanting to get back into an Eden head for a while (I owned a WT-800 a while back). It's got the signature Eden sound. I picked up a WT-330 a while back and it just didn't have the warmth of the tube pre Edens. IMO, the 330 also didn't have enough headroom either. I've only played the WT-550 out a couple of times but so far I really like it. I didn't need the power of the 800 so it was a perfect fit. If I were you, I'd wait on a nice used one. They can be found for $700-800 used. For what it's worth, I've been playing mine through a SWR Goliath III and Schroeder 1210. IMO it sounds better with the Goliath 410. I just purchased a used Accugroove TRI-210 (arrived yesterday) and the Eden sounds absolutely awesome through the TRI-210. I can't awit to play out with that combo!:bassist:

4. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    ^^Thanks

Only problem is that trying to track down EDEN in this country is a bit of a mission let alone tracking down second hand stuff.

Local store is finally getting hold of some aguilar stock, so I am wondering if that is also worthwhile to seriously consider, granting of course that I still need to actually try it out.

5. If you go up to the Search function, top right hand corner in the Amps section, and type in WT550 you will find at least a hundred threads. Try AG500 for the Aguilar and you will likewise find many threads. You are asking about two of the favorite heads on this forum. Add Ashdown ABM, Thunderfunk and the EA iAmp heads to the list and I'll bet you will have at least the top 50%.

I have only tried the Eden WT550, Aguilar AG500 and Ashdown ABM500 out of this list, so I can only speak for them. They all produce wonderful tones. I tend to lean toward the ABM, but I could be very happy with any of the ones I've played. I have played the AG500 the most and I think you will find it to be less tonally flexible than the Eden or the Ashdown. The Ashdowns have recently had a significant number of reliability complaints. I have never heard a reliability complaint with the WT550 or the AG500. Hope this helps.

6. flash99

flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    I am on the verge of buying one myself. I've been playing an Ampeg SVT3Pro since 1995 with no complaints. My store recently became an Eden dealer and I was very impressed with the WT550 - so much so that I've nearly gone home with one every day for the past month. The bag Eden makes fot it is backordered right now but I've pretty much decided that I'm getting one when the bags come in. It is much more of a rock amp than I expected - if you leave the "enhance" know all the way down, you get a great big, ballsy tone.

7. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    played this head through an eden D210XLT cab at an open mic. First time ever that i was able to just plug in, not eq, and play and be completly happy with the sound the entire set. EQ Was flat, cab had the tweeter 1/2 way up.

as far as im concerned Eden is high quality stuff. the only thing i did knotice was a tiny bit of hiss through the tweeter.

http://basstasters.com/preamps/navigator.htm <-- that seems to be a universal Eden thing.

8. IIRC, those bags have been backordered for at least 6 months and maybe a year. If you've got the money and it is the amp for you, I'd buy it and look for a different bag.

9. flash99

flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    The bags should really be available sometime in April. However, from what my Eden rep told me, they'll probably be sold out in no time.

10. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I love the 550. Small size, modest weight, warm sound, lots of guts. The amazing thing is that it has mondo sound shaping possibilities but the dang thing sounds so good you hardly ever end up turning the knobs! :D I have the bag which is real nice too.

11. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    like JOME77 said I like the sound of the 550 over the 330 (the all solid state eden)

I usually play with two aguilar gs112's and love the tone with the 550. The wt550 is very strong in volume, compared to the 300 or 330 models. it weighs about 20 LBS. I love the flexibility of the semi-parametric EQ and the fact that it's "active". The soundguy loves it because its flexible and has a nice full sound.

I have no complaints.

12. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I once owned one and it's a great, powerful, feature-laden head. Warm, full, articulate, punchy. WT550 + Aggie GS112 + Jazz bass = bliss. That's been my favorite affordable jazz bass rig (that I've owned or played) so far.

13. flash99

flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    I bit the bullet and picked one up last week and I'm happy so far. It definitely sounds bigger than my 3 Pro and I think it's louder. I have my first gig with it next Tuesday so that should answer any of my remaining questions about it. I decided for skip the Eden bag for it and rack it so that it has more protection.

14. Anyone use one with a Berg HT 115?

15. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I just ordered my 2nd 550 in the last 6 months. I foolishly sold my first one.

I use it with a Berie HT112 - fantastic little rig.

16. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Cool!:)
    I've got a Berg HT-112 arriving tomorrow. I'm looking forward to checking out how they sound together.

17. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    buy it.........:smug:

i used a wt-400 for a long time. I only sold it because i had to. My main complaint with it was that it could use a few more watts, and i would have liked it if it was stable at 2 ohms instead of 4 ohms. The 550 is the 400 with both improvements.

I play in a louder band, and most of the time the 400 was enough with two small 8 ohm cabs. There were times i could have used a bit more power, and the 550 would have let me use a third small cab. Keep in mind, i was playing with a LOUD band, and the wt-400 was more than loud enough in 95% of the situations i played in.

18. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    just bought a 550 and have used it on one gig + a blues jam. there's a spot on the master volume just around 11:00 that all of a sudden, kaboom, we're in hyper volume mode. The amp is very "tame" full lows, nice but not barkey mids, and nice but not tinny highs through a Schroeder 410 cabinet. It really sounds good.

I have a slew of late spring and summer weddings in larger rooms coming up + some other smaller gigs including our local house of Blues gig April 14. The thing that I can say though is that this combination.....MusicMan SR5 double pickup + Eden 550, + Schroeder 410 is the first time in ten years I've not had to use an outboard graphic eq to get the sound I want.

That in itself says something. The bass with 2 pups and the Eden are very versatile and the Schroeder does the "right" coloring adding a little more depth and punch to the head's natural tendencies.

I'll keep you posted on the reliability, but I wanted something that could handle 2 ohms safely as I do demo's of 2 4 ohm Schroeder cabinets for some of my potential customers and I needed a different head to do so.

Did I say this amp gets very loud too?

Larry

19. Peik

Peik

Dec 2, 2004
    Sweden
    I am actually in the process of selling my WT-550. Not too happy with the sound.
    It just sounds very midrangy ( if thats a word) to me, and the parametric EQ is just a little too much for me aswell. It is very versatile, and loud, but just not my cup of tea.
    I struggle to hear this tuby warmth that alot of people are talking about. I run it through an Accugroove Tri210L.

20. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Just more proof that everyone has a different sound that they're looking for in their head!:) I run my WT-550 through an Accugroove Tri-210 also and absolutely love the tone. I certainly wouldn't describe what I hear as very mid exaggerated tone. It's warm and throaty sounding with some nice midrange growl. I also just purchased a Berg HT-112 that arrived yesterday and the Eden WT-550 sounds awesome with it.
    Maybe the bass/strings that you're using make the difference? Maybe we just hear things differently? Just for a reference, I'm playing a Roscoe SKB 3005 w/Demeter pre and Warwick jazzman 5 (D'addario nickel rounds).