1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opinions: Dunlop M-80 Bass D.I.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Voodoo Vibe, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Voodoo Vibe

Voodoo Vibe

Jun 12, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Hey all,
    I'm a studio owner and I just picked this up to record with. I really liked it a lot, and I'm curious to hear what bass players think of it. I know the Tech21 D.I. is very popular. Has anyone compared the two?
    Thanks
    Aaron

2. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I just picked one up this afternoon (printed out the Zzounds page and had GC price match it for me). I'll post my opinions after I take it to practice tonight and see how it sounds while we do some pc-based recording (working on a demo).

I used to have a Sansamp BDDI that I never got happy with so I'll do some comparison from memory. And I bought the Dunlop to replace a Fishman Pro Bass Eq that's getting sent back because it doesn't get along well with the high output of my G&Ls.

3. I've got one coming. It should be here in the next couple of days, so I'll give you a review when I get familiar with it.

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    They're really two different things. The SABDDI is and amp and cab simulator, and a preamp. The M-80 is a 3-band EQ, preamp, boost, and distortion. Their functions overlap a bit, since of course many people use the SABDDI as a distortion, and both have DI's. I didn't care much for the SABDDI, but I don't really need another DI at the moment, and I'm using an Ampeg preamp, which may affect my opinion. I found it difficult to get a distortion I liked from it.

The M-80 is, IMO, easier to use, and easier to dial up a good distortion sound with. However, I finally unloaded mine, as it seemed to thicken my sound too much (as did the SABDDI), and I realized that what I wanted was a stand-alone distortion, rather than a Swiss Army Knife.

If you need all the functions of these boxes, they're great; I liked the M-80 better, but the SABDDI is still a unique item, and some folks wouldn't part with theirs.

So there's my view.

5. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

OK, got mine yesterday and tried it out at band practice. G&L Climax -> Dunlop -> mixer (OK there's a pedal tuner in there too and I had a combo on the parallel out of the Dunlop for when my level was too low to hear because of the recording setup).

I like the Dunlop better than the Sansamp. The clean channel on the Dunlop is clean and to my ear doesn't mess with the highs. With the Sansamp I was always having trouble hearing the upper ranges of my bass (D&G strings in particular - kind of muddy and lost in the guitars) while with the Dunlop they came through clearly.

I only played with the distortion a little bit and found it pretty buzzy. I did not mess with the "shape" button (I can't remember the name) as that's a mid-scoop and I boost my mids if anything.

All in all for my personal preferences the Dunlop is better than the Sansamp.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    The SABBDI puts out about 1volt right? Does anyone know what the M80 puts out?

7. I just got my M-80. My dad's an electrician, so he's prolly got some sort of voltmeter somewhere, so I'll see if I can find that out for you.