Opinions: Dunlop M-80 Bass D.I.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Voodoo Vibe, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Voodoo Vibe

Voodoo Vibe

Jun 12, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Hey all,
    I'm a studio owner and I just picked this up to record with. I really liked it a lot, and I'm curious to hear what bass players think of it. I know the Tech21 D.I. is very popular. Has anyone compared the two?
  2. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I just picked one up this afternoon (printed out the Zzounds page and had GC price match it for me). I'll post my opinions after I take it to practice tonight and see how it sounds while we do some pc-based recording (working on a demo).

I used to have a Sansamp BDDI that I never got happy with so I'll do some comparison from memory. And I bought the Dunlop to replace a Fishman Pro Bass Eq that's getting sent back because it doesn't get along well with the high output of my G&Ls.
  3. I've got one coming. It should be here in the next couple of days, so I'll give you a review when I get familiar with it.
  4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    They're really two different things. The SABDDI is and amp and cab simulator, and a preamp. The M-80 is a 3-band EQ, preamp, boost, and distortion. Their functions overlap a bit, since of course many people use the SABDDI as a distortion, and both have DI's. I didn't care much for the SABDDI, but I don't really need another DI at the moment, and I'm using an Ampeg preamp, which may affect my opinion. I found it difficult to get a distortion I liked from it.

The M-80 is, IMO, easier to use, and easier to dial up a good distortion sound with. However, I finally unloaded mine, as it seemed to thicken my sound too much (as did the SABDDI), and I realized that what I wanted was a stand-alone distortion, rather than a Swiss Army Knife.

If you need all the functions of these boxes, they're great; I liked the M-80 better, but the SABDDI is still a unique item, and some folks wouldn't part with theirs.

So there's my view.
  5. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

OK, got mine yesterday and tried it out at band practice. G&L Climax -> Dunlop -> mixer (OK there's a pedal tuner in there too and I had a combo on the parallel out of the Dunlop for when my level was too low to hear because of the recording setup).

I like the Dunlop better than the Sansamp. The clean channel on the Dunlop is clean and to my ear doesn't mess with the highs. With the Sansamp I was always having trouble hearing the upper ranges of my bass (D&G strings in particular - kind of muddy and lost in the guitars) while with the Dunlop they came through clearly.

I only played with the distortion a little bit and found it pretty buzzy. I did not mess with the "shape" button (I can't remember the name) as that's a mid-scoop and I boost my mids if anything.

All in all for my personal preferences the Dunlop is better than the Sansamp.
  6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    The SABBDI puts out about 1volt right? Does anyone know what the M80 puts out?
  7. I just got my M-80. My dad's an electrician, so he's prolly got some sort of voltmeter somewhere, so I'll see if I can find that out for you.