Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions..Eden, SWR, Ampeg......buying soon ..help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KlarkKent, Jun 21, 2002.

1. KlarkKent

KlarkKent

Dec 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Well, I've narrowed it down to these 4x10 cabs..

Ampeg, and SWR.(Goliath III 4 Ohm) They fit my budget and are very reputable amps, and they are at GCenter, ( I have a multo, multo deal there)

I basically want a high powered (rated) 4 ohm 4x10.
    My big question is, why is the Ampeg so damn cheap. I was in Gcenter...they had the brand new AmpegBSE410HLF rated at 800 watts at 4 ohms. Out of the two cabs it was the cheapest. I think 599.00 or something. That sounds like a killer amp.....so whats the deal....? To tell you the truth.....I'm willing to sacrifice choosing tone over workmanship/quality/reliability.....I will try them both out for tone but....AMpeg why so cheap?

2. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    That is one of Ampegs lower end cabs I believe. The BXT, SVT, or PRO series are all considered higher end, and are more expensive. However I'm not sure how the workmanship compares. Likewise SWR also has a budget line, the "workingman" series.

3. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    IMHO the main reason is retail markup.I don't hate the SWR Goliath III,but I feel the Ampeg BSE (I have one) is better value for money.The SWR is snappier but the low end on the Ampeg is big and delicious,great for fingerstyle,wheras the Goliath would excel for slap.
    I'm surprised to learn that your local GC still has Eden gear lying around;GC stopped carrying Eden almost 2 years ago,they blew it all out on sale (I got a new WT300 for $299 that day :-D ).
    I've never lived with an Eden 410xlt,but I have a 210xlt and I really like it,but they're kind of pricey new,as well.I got mine used with a blown light bulb tweeter protector which cost me $1.80 and 10 minutes of my time to correct.
    Among the 4x10 of these three makers,my vote would be the Ampeg overall.

4. KlarkKent

KlarkKent

Dec 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH AHA!

Ok that makes sense, well looks like destiny keeps bringing me back to the goliath. I'm playing a lot of Police tunes, (using a pick.....lots of those fast punk lines), so VIRTUAL.RAY you say it's pretty snappy..huh? that's the amp I need real fast tight response. Thanks guys,....!!!!!!

Klark Kent