Opinions/experience with this fretless 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Aug 13, 2002.

1. My M/F card is soon to have a zero balance, and we all know what that means: Instant G.A.S.

I have a MIM fretless jazz, and love everything about it except that annoying single coil hum, so I've been toying with the idea of getting a fretless 5 just so I can play, "Lady in Red." :rolleyes:

Anyway, what do any of you think about this lovely thing? Negative or positive, or anything else.

I don't know if I'm going to buy right away, but, I love playing fretless, but, can't stand that single coil hum. I know new pickups would be a lot cheaper, but, threre's that dreaded G.A.S. again.

Mike J.
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ah, good choice. :)

the fretboards on the fretless groovetools are called ebanol, and they have a great feel and sound to them. they are black (not purple like the purple heart fretteds) and have white lines. the pickups are the mighty mite pickups, with the "conklin" name attached.

the low b on the groove tools 5's that i've played always seemed very nice - good response and good tone. the construction of all the gt's that i've run into, of all string configurations (4,5, and 7) also seemed fine.

go for it. :)
  3. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Very eager to sell a Conklin, now are we. ;)

Naw, I bet its a dandy guitar. :D
  4. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    man, those MF pix aren't that great...

funny, I wondered if it might be one of those...
    my premonition was right! I just looked at a fretted one on ebay...

After owning a GT7f, the GT5f is high on my list of 'would own if the right deal comes along...'

Although the p'ups are different, most of the other components are the same I believe, and those are fine basses! I played a fretted 4 in a pawn shop here and almost bought it, but I wouldn't pass up a fretless.

The wenge/pph neck is heavenly! The ebanol gives a nice snappy-but-not-too-bright tone. I didn't care for the lines, but hey, you do what you gotta do. I'm just waiting for a GT5f to show up used now.

Tell ya what; you order it- if you don't end up liking it, you sell it to me...
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Mike, I fell in love with a GT-4F with Fender tapewounds... it was way too close to a Rob Allen vibe at a very reasonable price.
  6. You guys are going to ruin me! :D

Wow! It seems that the Conklins are 3 for 3 so far.

I always liked the look of them, with that exaggerated upper horn, and the fact that they have 24 fret boards. The other bass I was considering was an MTD Kingston fretless 5, but, it looks as though M/F doesn't carry then anymore.

John T., you are an excellent salesman; if you don't know Conklins, who does?

Xush, I have a feeling that I'll really like this gorgeous creature, plus I have a hard time letting go of any of my basses. I'm like the old cat lady that lives on everyone's street. :D

Brad J., a Rob Allen vibe? Oh man. I'm going to try to hold out until September 1st, just on principle. :) In reality, you'll probably read about me buying it within a few days. What was the name of that song about 15 years ago by Laura Brannigan? You take my self control? ;)

Thanks much guys. Anyone else?

Mike J.
    They are mighty good looking.