1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opinions! Factory(?) FrankenFender - 1983 62RI jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lpcarter, Aug 1, 2012.

1. lpcarter

lpcarter Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hey guys, found this bass on consignment at a shop for $1200. Dude said it's been around for a while, so the owner would likely take less...I played it, felt SUPER good, sounded awesome for high action and old strings. Like really good.

These guys are across the street from my work (coffee) so I talk to them all, all the time. The fellow bassist came over to tell me about the bass:

It's a 1983. Pots, stamps...it all lines up. It's a 62RI body, but there are a few things missing: No holes drilled for cover (however the pickguard is--just not the body) and the most obvious difference, is the neck is from a stock 1983 jazz.

The neckplate doesn't have a V s/n on it, instead it has the matching plate for a 1983 jazz neck: blank.

So the employee and I agree that it may have came out of the shop that way: a one off, possibly requested as a custom order from a shop/player. The finish DOES appear to be original when the bass is taken apart. If it's not, there's nothing old under it..

The main selling point, to me, that it "came that way" is that the body wasn't drilled for covers but is otherwise 100% correct from what I can tell. That suggests to me that it wasn't a completed 62RI, but somebody wanted that body and a current neck.

Also, there's a "fender custom shop" sticker...but...wasn't 83 before that existed? Thoughts/knowledge?

ANYWAY--here's pics! Let me know what you think. And, what you think a good price would be. Keep in mind, it's at a shop on consignment...so I can't suggest anything crazy like $5 and a pack of oreos.

2. lpcarter

Jan 20, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    Note no holes drilled...next up is a pickguard shot, showing the hole in the PG but not in the body beneath.

3. lpcarter

Jan 20, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hole in PG, not body. Blank neck plate, as in 1983 neck not RI series

4. lpcarter

Jan 20, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    And just a fuller shot of the back of the neck itself.

5. muzikman7

muzikman7

Sep 16, 2004
    Replacement Fender neck I'd say, reissue neck plates start with a V also Vintage Reissues did not have that style tuner they had the vintage style.

6. lpcarter

Jan 20, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    If it was a non factory replacement, a matching year was found. Plus, the lack of holes adds to the mystery...

7. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    What did you offer? If you got the juice kill it. That thing is unique & 62RI goes for what a grand? $2k new?
    And that's no frankenfender

8. lpcarter

Jan 20, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    not nearly as franken as most...but the parts coming together in this way seems intentional. and again looks like it came this way vs was upgraded to this. Maybe, maybe not. Sort of like some mega athlete with a football players legs, basketball players torso. Or something...haha

Did fender do these 62 RI's in this color, BTW? If NOT that could explain the holes missing--filled before refin. But, as stated before, when taken apart it doesn't appear to be refinished. Signs of being the original finish. And if it's original finish, why didn't Fender drill for covers if it wasn't a special order?

9. My guess is the neck was repaired under some warranty but just swapped for a standard neck, maybe owner requested it ot simply didnt care. I really highly doubt it left fender brandnew in that configuration.

Also I cant tell the color , is it fiesta? the pics dont seems like they represent the color correctly.

10. lpcarter

Jan 20, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    Seems to be more of a shell pink sort of color. Not fiesta red but it doesn't seem as soft as I imagine shell pink to look in person

11. tsunami1052

tsunami1052 What the Funk?

Sep 13, 2005
    Wyoming
    Bingo, Fender Shell Pink

12. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Fullerton reissues were never offered in that color.

btw, I think early 80s dated stack knob pots were used up through the late 80s; apparently Fender bought a huge quantity at one time, and took years to use them up. IMO, there is nothing "Fullerton" about that bass.

13. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I don't know how they were made back then, but the new ones do not have holes drilled in the body either.

The buyer/new owner has to decide if they want covers and installed them on their own.

14. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    A legitimate 83 reissue would have come with pilot holes drilled in the body near the bridge.

15. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    Also, I believe that Fender used the "E 3" serial numbers up through the mid 80s.

16. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    As far as it being an early 80's Fullerton...Pickguard, Tuners, Neck, Body are WRONG.

No WAY I'd pay $1200 for that parts bass. Not even half IMO.

17. Yeah id think maybe id gamble at 500$ if it played well, knowing the neck and tuners in good shape is worth about that.

18. lpcarter

Jan 20, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    Sweet. I appreciate the feedback on that. I never claim to be a fender expert...good thing I know where to find a few ;)

19. lowjoe1

lowjoe1

Feb 3, 2011
    tennessee
    An '83 neckplate should also have a large cbs fender logo on it.