1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinions For MIJ Fender Mustang Vintage Reissue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Oren Hudson, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Early 2000's Mustang that has peaked my interest. Purportedly made for the Japanese market and has the rounded PU's. Experiences and opinions.

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    I had a CIJ Mustang Bass, made in 1997. What do you mean by rounded pickups?

3. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I mean rounded edges verses the squared edges of current manufacture.

4. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Okay. I know mine had rounded ends, don't recall regarding the edges.

5. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I said edges meaning ends like yours had. Likes and dislikes for your Mustang.

6. bass4more

bass4more Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Oakland, CA
    I have an early 2000's CIJ Fiesta Red Mustang. I love it. Excellent build quality and good tone. The only mod I have made is to shield the pickup and control cavity and upgrade the stock cap to an orange drop (same value). I also replaced the pearloid pick guard with a red tort guard.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    Oren Hudson likes this.
  7. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    I really liked everything about the one I had except for the nut width as I have come to prefer wider necks. The only reasonI sold it was due to downsizing (no pun intended) my gear collection. The bass was built quite well, probably better than most American Fenders, and the tone control range was superb, going from nice and bright/full range to very deep and pillowy, something I have not found in any other passive bass I have owned.

Front Body-800_1034.jpg

I did do a couple of mods to it; Hipshot Ultralite tuning keys and A Style bridge, but put it back to stock when I sold the bass.

8. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC

Thanks for your input. Exactly what I was looking for. Red with red tort would be cool. Love the white too. :)

back4more likes this.
  9. bass4more

bass4more Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Oakland, CA
    A4F8955D-F4F4-4BD4-B18D-0EE9967505B6.jpeg
    Here is a pic!

10. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    back4more likes this.
  11. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    I've got a later 2012 version - Made in Japan, rather than Crafted in Japan, but I don't think there's too much difference.
    Nice bass, well made, no complaints other than it took me a while to get used to the 7.5" radius.
    It feels normal to me now though.

It's a bit limited tone wise compared to something like the current P/J Mustang, but I like the sound of it.
    Not much else to say about it except that I think it's worth getting if you can get it for a decent price.

I've heard lots of comments about Mustangs having wimpy output or a weak tone, and so on, and some people
    don't like that it doesn't have body contours, but I get along with it just fine.
    Probably best if you can try it out first to see if it suits you.

staurosjohn, nateh415 and Oren Hudson like this.