Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions from Lakland Skyline owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by danshee, Jun 30, 2004.

1. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Just want to know what Lakland Skyline owners think of thier basses. Quality, sound, playability, you get the idea.

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have a 44-02 fretless and I like it quite a bit.

Mine is constructed well and I like the variety of the preamp especially. I'm able to dial in a number of tones - even a nice, midrangey Jaco-esque approximation.

Mine has the MM and Jazz p/u config and a rosewood fretboard.

I think that they are good deals for the money, especially given the hardware, contruction, playability and electronics. Even though it's built in Korea, the Bart pickups and preamp are of the US-made variety.

Mine is well balanced, lightweight and comfortable to play. I've heard from others who have stated that they don't care for the neck width, front-to-back, so that may be a consideration.

Also, IIRC, the active/passive switch does not allow for passive operation when the battery dies (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong), so it doesn't function as a safeguard in that case.

The finish on mine is a tobacco-burst and the woodgrain looks quite nice through it.

Depending upon the price you're looking at, it can be a very good deal for the money. There are other basses out there in a similar price range that you should definitely consider in comparison (as other will note), but the Skyline has been considered a really good value since its inception.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I've had an ash/maple 55-02 for over a year and a half.

It's very versatile - nasty as all get out when you want that.....deep, sweet, and smooth when the situation calls for that, as long a you have a fine amp.
    The action can be adjusted so the sucker practically plays itself...(of course, that wipes out your excuses to say, "Well, it not me!!! It's the bass!" :D

The three band control in the preamp that allows you to select which Hz ranges you want to emphasize is great.......my guitarists love the sound, especially because I can get out of the frequency ranges of their vintage Strats and a Les Paul Deluxe.

4. dedmyers

dedmyers

Dec 23, 2003
    Tennessee
    I have had a 55-01 (natural w/ maple neck) for about 6 months. I have been pleased with every aspect of this bass (especially for the $). It sounds and plays great but this is always subjective. Additionally, they have outstanding customer service. I have called them three times, once for strings, once for advice, and once for a new volume pot. The owner of the Company answered all three times. Great guy too.

5. d_money

d_money

Jun 13, 2004
    I have a Lakland Skyline 55-01 as well and I love everything about it. The tone is great regardless of what type music you're playing. Right now I'm rehearsing with a rock band and it's fitting the bill there too.

6. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I've love my 55-02. I bought it for a good work horse, but find myself using it more and more and more. From jazz to rock to funk to pop - it does the job very well.

7. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Before I bought my 55-01 I was originally considering building a Warmoth Gecko. Well, I got everything that I wanted on that Gecko on my 55-01 for about $500 less, and I did not have to do any work myself, plus the bass just smokes! :)

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My wife has a Lakland D55-01. The quilt top is very nice, almost as nice as the USA models. People have complained about the stock preamp, but it does the job very well. The bass has excellent fit & finish, as good as anything in its price range. And it sounds great. Nice, tight B string, and wide string spacing at the bridge. The only thing that I don't like is the neck profile is chunkier than I prefer.

I used to use it quite a bit in the oldies band, before I quit.

She is thinking of selling it, because it is a little too big for her. And, she doesn't play it much.

I wish that I could afford to buy it from her, and justify keeping it. But I have a lot of nice basses, and it just doesn't get played that much.

9. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I think they are a great bang for the buck! I like the 5502's a little better witht he Bartolini and MMJ setup, but the 5501 is nice buy as well. The JO's are wonderful Jazz basses for the money.

heres a LPB I had a few weeks ago, killer bass.
    [​IMG]

10. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I bought my 55-01 on a impulse buy. I traded in my Onyx Sterling for it, and I don't regret it one bit. It is Candy Apple Red with a Rosewood fretboard. The tone is great. Like a Jazz Bass on steroids. The preamp is really effective, and the passive switch is really handy. The playability for the bass is very nice. Great playing B string. The wide string spacing can be hell if aiming for the G string, but thats a rarity.

~Patrick

11. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Love my Skyline Joe Osborne 5 string Jazz. Top of the line pickups and tuners. String through body. Form fit. I practice a lot sitting down, and it is very comfortable and balanced.

Tim99.

12. I've got a 55-01 and a Hollowbody Skyline. Been very pleased with the construction, playability, and tone of both, though I like the 55-01 even better since replacing the original preamp with a Bart NTMB.

Mike

13. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I traded a modded Ric 4003 for a like new 44-01 and thought I'd miss the Ric terribly. I don't - while I did love the Ric for playability and tone, I didn't lose anything in those departments. The 44-01 also has a tone that's gotten me more compliments than any of my other basses. Most people prefer the US Bartolini's over the MK-1's, but I like the extra bite and aggressive attributes of the Korean MK-1's. They give it a very pronounced character in a live mix that gets noticed.

Both drummers I play with have commented on how well it stands out in the mix. The only thing I'd change is the weight. It seems to be around 10 lbs and isn't overly heavy compared to your average bass, but wouldn't it be nice if they were all around 8 lbs? The fit, finish, playability and tonal characteristics are well worth keeping it strapped on for 4-5 hours. It's been getting LOTS of play time.

14. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Got a Skyline JO5 and a 55-01 Deluxe w/ Bart NTMB preamp. They sound great and are a joy to play. I have just as much fun playing these basses as I do with my MTD and F Bass which cost more than twice the price.

:bassist: :hyper: :bassist:

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've had a Deluxe 55-02 for a while now and I liked that phrase "Jazz Bass on steroids" :)

That's exactly it for me - so last Sunday I noticed my local music shop was open and had just upgraded/expanded - so I looked at what they'd got - loads of Fenders.

I picked out the most expensive Jazz bass - American Deluxe 5-string - asked to try it and it wasn't a patch on my Skyline - it was really disappointing to play after having played my Skyline in the morning!!

So - the Fender had a worse B string, floppy and indistinct - couldn't even get a harmonic out of it and I just couldn't get any of the classic Jazz bass sounds from records, that I can get easily on my Skyline...:meh:

It does seem weird when Lakland can do a better Fender than Fender ...oh and importantly, I paid between £200 and £300 less for my Skyline, than the price of the Fender!! :eek:

16. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Sat in on a Buddy's 55-02 last weekend for about 40 minutes.

I am not a Fender style or bolt-on type of guy, but this bass smoked.
    I am now considering getting one.
    I had a chance to buy a figured maple/maple 55-02, about a year ago, for only $600.
    I'm kicking myself now for not getting it.

17. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I own 2 55-02 Deluxes and I'm thinking about getting a Joe Osborne 5, and a Darryl Jones 5 when it comes out (way in the future). I have nothing but good things to say about them. My main axe is one of the 55-02DLX's. The beautiful thing is that each of my 55-02's sound different. One has a Rosewood Fingerboard and it is versatile as hell (sounding like a Stingray to a J-Bass0, but it more emulates a smoother 60's Basses Sound where it is a bit politer. The 55-02 with a maple board and ash body (still versatilfe from Stingray to J-Bass and everything between) has more of a 70's Jazz bass vibe to it. So when you get your Skyline...be sure to try it out and be sure that the wood combinations are what you want them to be. Oh and Dan is really cool to work with.

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree - I was lucky, in that I happened to go into the London Bass Centre, just after they had got a big consignment of Skylines and I was able to try several of them.

So - I picked the one I liked best for sound and it was definitely different from the rest - although only slightly and I can imagine some people not being so picky or even noticing it!! ;)

19. I have 2 55-02: a fretted CAR-Maple and a fretless lined "black-beauty". Not a spot. Beautiful instruments.

I am sincerely happy that Dan is lately gaining all the recognition he deserves, being him a real "sir"!!!

Recently he had an article on Forbes magazine that tells the truth about the real life of an instruments maker and the sacrifices.

20. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I bought a Skyline Joe Osborn as a backup/passive alternative to my main axe, a Pedulla Thunderbolt. Mine is a natural finish w/maple board. I replaced the mint pickguard with a black one. I can't say enough good things about this bass! It is almost perfect in every way- construction, playability, tone, appearance, etc. etc. The setup was perfect and the action was incredibly low right out of the box. There are no dead spots! This bass is a keeper. Like someone else said previously, I enjoy playing my JoBo as much as my Pedulla which costs more than twice what the Skyline does. I decided to get my first fretless earlier this year. I immediately chose the 44-01. It's Inca Silver w/lined rosewood board. Contrary to what you may hear, the stock MK-1's with the stock preamp produce several useable tones w/great "mwah." You can't go wrong with a Lakland. I've never played a "bad" one. :D