Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions - G&L 2500, MM Stingray 5 Or Peavey Cirrus 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LowFreakuency, Mar 12, 2005.

1. LowFreakuency

LowFreakuency

Feb 1, 2005
    I am looking at getting a 5 stringer and I have heard good things about these three basses. I play fingerstyle and at times with a pick. Everything from classic rock - pop - new country - nu metal & finger funk so I need a bass that is versatile. I am looking to buy used and to spend between $700-$900. This would be my only bass. I don't have the opportunity to play any of them so any recommendations would be appreciated!

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think that in many ways these basses are pretty evenly matched. If you like to slap, they all sound good but have pretty close string spacing. If you like the G&L L-2500, you could consider a new Tribute which would actually be under the price you are willing to spend. I would also recommend checking out the SUB5 too, I recently picked up a used one for under $400 before shipping. The Cirrus is neck through which gives it it a different feel from a bolt on bass. I also like the Cirrus' electronics and workmanship. If there is any way to play these basses, I think you should do so, even if it means some sacrifice for you. These basses are all very nice to me, but that really means nothing for you.

3. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I second the G&L. I picked up my used L-2000 for only about $720, and all the L-2500's I've seen are in this range as well. Also, you can't go wrong with a Tribute L-2500 also.

I honestly don't have experience with the other 2 basses, but from what I know about them, I think the G&L will be the most versatile. I believe the Peavey is said to be a pretty versatile bass too, so that would be next in line.

4. Redman

Redman

Oct 21, 2002
    Nashville TN
    The G&L is the way to go, the L-2500 is much more dynamic in tone than anything in the Fender line and slightly better than the Stingray5. I own a Natural L-2500 (American) and a L-2500 Tribute as a backup. It's hard to tell the two apart both in feel and tone. After getting my first G&L about 4 years ago, (I now have 4) I sold my 4 Fenders and my 2 Gibsons. My only gripe is that G&L's don't hold their value like others.

5. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    G&L Tribute L2500 gets my vote too...One of the rare cases that you'll get more than what you paid for.

6. LowFreakuency

LowFreakuency

Feb 1, 2005
    How does the G&L Tribute L2500 differ from the L2500 besides the fact that it is not made in the USA?

7. LowFreakuency

LowFreakuency

Feb 1, 2005
    What is your opinion on the G&L Tribute L2500 compared to the L2500 USA?

8. I agree with the majority of this thread on the G&L - lots of versatility and solid as a rock performance.

As to the differences between the US and Tribute versions - if you look through all the threads here on G&L you'll find that most speak very highly of the Tribute. The pickups are the same in both models, the bridge is a reverse-engineered copy of the US model. Electronics are close...some have complained that now and again you'll get a scratchy pot, but most don't complain at all. If you get a premium model Tribute, you can still get a very nice ash body with a natural or burst finish. The necks on the Tributes are not the bi-cut versions that the US models sport, and the tuners are not the US ultra-lights - but for a new price of about 45% of their U.S. counterparts, it's hard to go wrong.

I have a US L-2000, and it's a great instrument; however, I would not hesitate about buying a Tribute, given their reviews and reputation.

As always, this is just my opinion.

Jay

9. LowFreakuency

LowFreakuency

Feb 1, 2005
    It sounds like the G&L Tribute L2500 is the way to go. I definitely wouldn't mind being able to save some $$$ and still get a top notch instrument.

10. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    G&L hear as well....Next week I'm going to take mine back to the store and have a new Volume pot put in mine is messed up. Bad thing now is where I bought my G&L Truibute he is not going to sell them anymore. I was in the store yesterday and was just shooting the **** when i told him about my Volume. He was like oh no not another one. Well he already fix four others that week and mine made the fifth one. On top of that He already replaced the pots in the GL but for the replacement parts G&L sent the wrong ones. Which means the four he fixed this week will probably be coming back again. He said that word is getting around now about the pots being scratchy and is having a hard time selling them so when they are gone there gone. :bawl:

But sense I bought my G&L truibute my Fender Hot Rod has been put away in its case.

11. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Solution?

Stingray Five, of course.

12. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yeah my volume pot is scratchy too. Too bad I don't really care! :bag:

13. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    That's what I told him. When I turn the volume all the way to off. It won't go fully off with out a tap.
    I was like it's really not that big a deal, but he said he would still do it. If he is going to fix/replace the nobe with out charging me. I don't see a problem there either.

I just think it stinks now when I get ready to buy a USA made G&L I'm going to have and look else where.

14. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yes, true.
    Try to get a relatively new/used bass off of another TalkBass member. One that seems to know what he is doing. That way you can rest assured (hopefully) that the bass was chosen by that member for a reason. This is, of course, if you can't get your hands on one locally.

I got mine off of Roscoe of TB and I am very pleased. He sure picked a nice bass out of the batch he sampled.

15. If the scratchy pots are the only bi*ch about the Tribute that's not a big deal. They can be replaced easily.

16. LowFreakuency

LowFreakuency

Feb 1, 2005
    Hows the B string sound on the Tribute? Also what is the approx. weight?

17. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Exactly. I'd be happy to pay $600 for a well made, great sounding bass and spend an extra $30 or so to replace the pots if it's something that gets the job done. That's fine because I know that there are alot of basses in the price range that just don't hold a candle to the Tributes.

18. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I was just at Guitar Center yesterday and surprisingly enough I talked to a sales person who actually knew what he was talking about *or seemed like it.* I was trying out the Warwick FNA Jazzman 5, which I'm currently going for, and he mentioned the Lakland 55-02, said it's a amazing piece of gear. I later asked about Cirrus, he said that the quality, options, and feel is great but the tone is much different then the Warwick, the Ray, or the G&L. He said what many on the boards have said, the Cirrus has a very Ken Smith sound to it, which is much smoother and much less bite then the others.

If you can try it the Warwick FNA Jazzman 5 can be had for 800-900 used, if you don't like that then I would suggest the Stingray 5.

EDIT: Woops put a G&L where there shoulda been a Lakland :)

19. I would say go with th G&L. I've owned a stingray and have played a cirrus. I own a G&L L2500 and its definately one of the best basses I've ever played period. Definately the most versatile.

Rgarding the tribute's scratchy volume pot, thats just not acceptable for a bass of that caliber. If it's a large scale problem on all the tributes then G&L should fix them free of charge.