1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinions guys. Fender Mod Shop or Sadowsky Metro Express?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sml175, May 3, 2018.

1. Sml175

Sml175

Nov 4, 2014
    NJ
    Wife says if I sell my other she will pay 1/2 for my birthday. Looking at the Fender Mod Shop Jazz or Sadowsky Metero Express. I have a Sadowsky Metro Will Lee as well as a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz. Love them both. Just wanted to get an Ice blue Metallic jazz w 60s pups. Opinions, why. Thanks.

Bassist Jay likes this.
  2. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    G&L USA?

Just to add more confusion... :cool:

MattZilla likes this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    OP, you are talking apples and oranges. Do you want the classic passive Jazz tone or an active Jazz tone?

4. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    not
    sadowsky.

Sell both and get an Alleva?

5. Sml175

Sml175

Nov 4, 2014
    NJ
    Passive, I have active i the Will Lee Metro. Although I do love that sound as well.

6. Fender.

7. danclaro

danclaro Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Princeton, NJ
    If weight, fretwork, tight neck pocket, ability to boost bass and treble onboard, and customer service matter to you, I'd say go with Sadowsky. I believe that they come with humcancelling pickups, but you could put Fender's Pure Vintage 60s pickups in there and it would have that single coil vintage Jazz bass sound (and hum when the neck/bridge pickups are not full on). I don't know that you can specify a weight or weight range when ordering a Mod Shop bass, but the Metro Express basses are supposed to be around 8.5 lbs.

8. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Bass Player mag tests the Sadowsky in this months issue.

9. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    Sadowsky. I’m going to be ordering my first one soon. Fender, basses have somewhat grown on me in the past few years but if I were given the choices you gave, I would take a Sadowsky every time.

10. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    If you want something that sounds like a ‘60s Fender, then buy a Fender with pickups that sound like they were wound in the ‘60s.

Not sure what’s hard about this.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021