1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opinions/Help Wanted: Head Choice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Silver Blues, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Hello all,

So, here's my dilemma today. I've been shopping around for a new amp, and while there's a lot of nice stuff out there, I can't swing the price of admission for ANY of it. So as of now I have fallen on two (kind of three) different options.

Option 1 is a basically new Ampeg Micro VR that I can buy locally. They used it as a "plug 'er in and CRANK" display model for a handful of months (four IIRC) and I can get $50 off the price because of this (making it $249.99).

Option 2 is a vintage but very good condition Acoustic 140 stocked at a GC in Cincinnati, costs $119.99 and I can have it shipped for an extra $75. This makes the total $195. The other day I was about to pull the trigger on a local 140 for $175 but lost it, so I'm a bit on edge about that.

Kind-of-option 3 is a used Acoustic B200H. There was one at a GC somewhere in Massachusetts, but I was informed they cannot ship. (Don't know why if the other one can.) If I could find another B200H local or for a reasonable price (that particular one was $99.99) I would consider but that's the order of the year. I am also on the fence about this one because all of the testimonials about it are extremely polarized, so I don't know what to believe... is it reliable, is it loud enough, is it... isn't it... I really don't know. That being said, everything I've heard about the 140 has been positive and as I understand those were Acoustic's golden years.

So, the 140 is a bit lean on features but supposedly sounds excellent, the B200H is very decent but no one can seem to make up their mind on whether it's worth it or not, and the Ampeg is kind of expensive but as IME a good product. (Yeah it looks a little dorky but whatever, I don't care.) I figure I can get a cab for the 140 a bit cheaper too because it's lower power. (Maybe just me making assumptions.)

What do I go for? Do I hold out for the B200H? Is the 140 worth it? Should I just scrape the extra $45 together for the Ampeg?

I play mostly blues and prog rock if that helps anyone. Trying to meddle in as many genres as possible as I'm a new enough player that I can adapt fairly easily while still having enough (admittedly sub-par self-taught) experience to know what I'm doing 90% of the time. :D

--Silvie

2. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    The Ampeg won't knock over a wall, but I've seen it getting very good reviews here. The best feedback comes by using it with 2 cabs though...

For 'vintage' Acoustic, there's a 370 for sale here, and that's the only one I'd jump at.

The new Acoustic stuff may be ok, and may serve you very well. It's not 'cache' like the Ampeg, but you can hook up a decent 115 or 410 to it for cheap, and you're there. Might be your most solid move...

3. Anyone know where up in Canada I can get good prices on a B200H? Would have jumped on that $99 one in Mass but you know, they can't ship it :rollno: I won't do a new one, I can get the Ampeg for less than that.

I do like the 140... the lack of features is pretty glaring, though. However as I recall I have an EQ I can throw in front of it if I really wanted to.

The indecision continues...

--Silvie

4. I think you can do better with your coin...

5. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    I'll agree. Find one of these on Craigslist:
    GK... 400RB; GK800RB; older Trace Elliot head; old Peavey Mega Bass; SWR SM 400s; there's a lot of used goods out there that are a better class of amp than the Acoustic, new or old (except that 370! :hyper:).

6. I guess I'm gonna go do some pawn shop scouring...
    Damn I wish I could swing a really killer rig. fml

--Silvie

7. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Killer doesn't have to mean huge, or state-of-the-market... a 400RB (any year, older might be better) into a decent cab can carry you a lot of miles.

8. I know. I just don't want to jump into buying something I don't want, sight unseen. Ya dig? :p

--Silvie

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Instead of the Micro VR, I'd see about an Ampeg PF350. I love the Micro VR and I use mine all the time, but the PF350 is the same price, sounds identical to me, and has 150w more watts. The Micro VR is a great head and it looks way cool, but the PF350 is the more practical solution in your case.

Never played the 140 but I've played a lot of other old Acoustic stuff and used to have a 136 combo from the 70's. It was alright. Not as keen on the newer stuff that GC was selling, though. It's good priced and decent enough, but doesn't really wow me.

10. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I'd avoid the GC whatever-is-in-season gear. Go used (they should have Craigslist or some type of equivalent where you live), read reviews, shop carefully and patiently.

11. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Canada is chock full o' excellent Traynors and Yorkvilles. I'd be hunting for one of those.

12. offhand35

offhand35 Supporting Member

Silver Blues, thanks for bringing this question up!! With the number of the B200H's available at low prices, I was wondering about them. I have not played one and was also hesitant to buy one online. The question is always there, "Why are there so many of them for sale?"
    To Count Bassie : Thanks for the list to start my search! There are some 400RB's at GC that seem to be in reach price wise.

13. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Good question!

You can find a 400RB for around $100... def don't need to spend more than $200- but it's still worth it in any case...

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Agreed 100%...

- georgestrings

15. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

That, a Backline 600, or a Peavy Mark VI or VIII - should all be in that price range, and are all much better choiced, IMO...

- georgestrings

16. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Was thinking the same thing...

- georgestrings

17. All right, this is good stuff, thanks guys... keep it coming!

--Silvie

18. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    I'm putting that 400RB at the top of my personal rec' list for your situation, but Mr. Strings' recommendations are on the money as well.

19. Right, liking the 400RB idea, but what era were you guys referring to? I see a Mk IV as the current iteration.

[​IMG]

Or were you thinking of the older ones?

--Silvie

20. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    You'll find the older ones for the low price tag I mentioned. But as far as I know, any of them will do 'that thing they do'.