Opinions: MTD, Fodera, Roscoe or F Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassmanbob, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Dear Talkbassers:

I am currently saving for a high end 5 or 6 string fretted bass. I'm currently thinking more about the 6 string.

What I want to know is why you chose your MTD, Fodera, Roscoe or F Bass over the others. If you didn't get to try every one of these basses when you purchased your instrument, please tell me which other basses out of the four you did try and why you chose the one you did.

2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    At that price range, and those quality builders, it's going to be ALL personal prefernce, Bob.

Personally, I would go with a Roscoe, but that's because those things have a meaty tone like a metaphor. They are the steroided brother of the P bass, IMO, and that's my bag.

Runner up would be the MTD. Those things snarl and bit and snap like a pitbull.
  3. I've had all four of those. My MTD 535 and Fodera Emperor Elite 5 both rule! I can't see myself getting rid of either of them.
  4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    ok, disclaimer, im a dealer for most of those, except Fodera..but Ive owned them all as well- so here go my personal observations=

Fodera -
    i owned a 5 - it had nice meaty tone, very NY sounding bass- they are EXPENSIVE!! more so than the rest- but if you decide to resell- you get a lot back.
    The lo b, though it ahd the extended b upgrade, was nothing to write home about- they are made very well and are beautiful for sure- some are on, some are not so on--
    MTD -
    what can i say? MTDs are smokin!! goos lo b's - i miss my 635- i recently heard a cd i had played it on and it sounded great!! i sold oit because i found the spacing just a tiny bit narrow- but MTD's have a tone that is complex- Mike is a wood guru- they have a character all their own- very nice and organic , yet modern- they differ greatly in sound depending on your wood choices
    Roscoes have the best l b's around- i currently own a 6 string- i love it- the necks are super stable- the spacing is better for me than the MTD - takes a super lo setup and no problem- beautiful finish- not everyones slap sound- they dont have the "Marcus" slap sound- i like the slap on it, but it is not Fendery-- not as expensive as the rest- probably the best value in boutique handmade basses- Roscoes are super punchy and huge lo end- veyr modern sounding to me- i am not primarily a 6 player- ive though about selling the Roscoe-, but.... NO WAY!!!
    F Bass -
    F basses have a more woody natural sound- fendery at times, nice and pure- good lo b- better than the Fodera i had- for a 6, it is extremley playable- these are great , great basses- my main 5 these days is an F bass- not extreme with the preamp- no matter where you set it- it stays natural and sweet sounding- not as modern sounding as the Roscoe, but woodier.
    the basses you have listed are all top notch- you will pay a lot for a Fodera- the MTD is the work of a legend of luthiery- the Riscoe is a great value and huge sounding bass- the F bass is a work of art and very organinc sounding and eay to play-- its goona be a tough choice, bro-- good luck!!
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Forget the disclaimer, that was a very objective take on all four basses. Mirrors my experiences with them.
  6. Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    I've never played a Roscoe,while I would have no doubt between a Fodera and an MTD:FODERA!!!!!
    They are the BEST modern basses out there to me
    Just my00.2;)
  7. If you want a 5 definitely look into Sadowsky. He does not make a 6. YMMV

Happy hunting!
  8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    thanks Brad!!
    just thought id mention i updated my gear page and now i included a "past basses" page-- it was interesting to look back and see what has come and gone... if anyone is interested:

granted, if i took all those basses, added all the ones ive sold at my shop , and put them in the same living room, it STILL wouldnt rival Brad's collection!!
  9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've never tried F bass and haven't spent enough time with Roscoes.

I chose MTD 535 because it has warmth and killer growl and absolutely perfect playability for me. The 3-band EQ is very powerful, but despite this I can't seem to get bad tone even with extreme settings. They're also beautiful. I also like Foderas a lot, but those are a lot more expensive.

Have you tried a Ken Smith? They also have a very musical EQ.
  10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Okay, that'll be enough of that:D
  11. Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    Fodera, their 6ers are the best. just my opinion.
    anyhow, try them all and let me know what you think;)
  12. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Adrian's post pretty much describes to a "t" my perception of those basses and their qualities. Nice job, AG!:cool:
  13. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I think what Adrian said sums it up, although here are my two cents since I've have/had 3 of the 4. If you're looking to own just one bass that can do just about every type of situation, then go with the MTD. I find my 535 Tulpwood body very good at getting all the sounds. If you're looking for a big, fat sound, go with the Roscoe. There's not a bass out there that can compare with their B's. I really miss the sound of my Roscoe. It had lots of lows, but it sounded a bit too compressed for my liking. It's still a good bass, and I think sometime soon, I'll have Adrian order me up one. I know most of the TBer's are going to say I'm crazy, but I think that Fbasses are a little overrated. Nothing special in my mind, but I guess they do a good job at reproducing the classic "Fender" type sound for lack of a better word. I guess what got me with the Fbass was that the B was lacking to say the least, and I couldn't get the action set quite to my liking. I replaced the Fbass with a Grendel, which for me seems to do a better job. All in all, I would say for the money, get the Roscoe because it really is an awsome bass, but if you can afford a MTD, go with that.
  14. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Well I own an F bass and two Fodera's and have played more than a few roscoe's. Honestly Roscoe's don't do anything for me. I don't really like their sound but they play well. They have great low B's like everyone has said but I *personally* have seen low B's that are just as good on both F basses and Fodera's but that is just my experience.

If it were ME I would go for Fodera but really at this level it is all personal preference. I don't think there is any way you would get a "bad bass" with any of those. You will pay more for a Fodera and maybe a bit less with a Roscoe. I may just be lucky but every Fodera I have played smokes both F basses and Roscoe's in the playability department and I mean smokes . I had to sell my F bass after getting my Imperial because I don't think it sounds as good and honestly...the F bass felt BAD after playing the Imperial for about a week or so. At first I thought "they are both great, the F bass is just different" but no...As far as MTD's go I have seen them in person but never bothered to play one because I really just don't like the way they look at all. :eek: I hope that remark doesn't get me flamed. :D So I really can't comment on MTD's...

If I were you I would disregard EVERYTHING that people say here, including myself, and try to go play a few of each if that is at all possible. You could get some great advice from someone that really only applies to them. At this level of bassdom you don't really want to take anyone else's word for it... (*wonders why I typed so much if that is the case*)
  15. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    :eek: :eek:

16. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Thanks a lot guys. Your experience, objective views and honesty are all appreciated. I know that I can't go wrong with the basses I've mentioned. I've briefly played them all (not on the same day) except for the F bass and like every one of them. When the money's there, I'm going to try each one on the same day maybe even a couple of times before I decide.

I continue to encourage any more responces.
  17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

LOL. Not to hijack the thread, but I must say that I know where you're coming from. I read a number of 5-star reviews of the x35, but when I saw photos I thought, "the woods are gorgeous, but the body shape is kind of average: with all the beveling it reminds me of Ibanez. And what's with that weird notch in the headstock?" But once I played a 535 it was all over... I HAD to have one! So I bought one, and not long after I came to appreciate the body shape and funky headstock. :p

Moral of the story for BassSaxMan: if you don't want an "ugly" MTD in your collection, continue to avoid them. ;) :D
  18. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    I've owned an MTD, played an F bass and now I've settled on a Fodera. It has the tone and playability that I like. The B string was mentioned above as not being anything to write home about. I feel the same way about it when I'm in passive mode. When I go active and nudge the bass control up some I get instant thunder!! These are all great basses, so you can't go wrong you just have to find the one that suits you and hopefully b4 you shell out the big money.
  19. The only one I've played is a Roscoe, and it was a 4-string. I might be trying a 5-string soon, though. I haven't even seen any of the other basses in person. The Roscoe 4 I played will be my next bass. Period. It played SO smoothly and sounded frickin' spectacular! They do have a FAT sound, but it kicks! It also looked beautiful!
  20. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    You might want to wait till March issue of bassplayer to see the Benavente Review before purchasing one of these. I think the review is pretty damn tuff!

Either way the F bass or Fodera aren't bad choices! I'd take the F bass 2nd to the Benavente and then the Fodera or ......... maybe the other way, tuff call.

Just my opinion!

ps. did you get my pm