Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions needed: EBS Fafner or HD350 for fingerstyle rock?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kurisu, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    I've heard alot about these amps, and every review (incl. bassplayer) says it's a slapper's dream, and "the funkmaster" (whatever that means :) ). Then I found another reviewer saying that it was great for slap but terrible for fingerstyle - it made all his basses sound the same.

So, would anyone with an EBS be able to comment? Ram says it's got a great hi-fi sound that will let my bass's character shine through, but that's at odds with that other reviewer. So I'm looking for other opinions.

I would rather have an amp that lets me hear my bass... amplified. And if the Fafner or HD350 isn't going to give me a clean hi-fi version of my bass, maybe I should go the Mark Bass route. Although I really like the idea of the Fafner's tube drive, so that's why I'd rather get an EBS.

Man, decisions... :help:

2. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I had a ebs TD650. I play a five string in a rock band. I really liked that head but I switched to a pre/power rig so I sold it. A lot of good tone in there and the drive knob was usefull. It had the "ebs" tone but I could always tell/hear what bass I was using. btw, most of the time I play finger style.

3. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    It is true that EBS has it's sound but in a good way. I've played different basses through my setup and they all had their own voice through the amp.
    EBS sound to me is hi-fi with balls - it is clean sounding but if you want growl it is there.
    Maybe it's just me but Fafner seems closer to rock amp than HD350.

4. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    yup, I agree with your post. BTW The TD650 has a different preamp than both the HD350 or the Fafner.

5. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Fafner. The hd350 didn't have the finger thing like
    the fafner did. I really loved the fafner. Most guys
    I know like it more too.

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Can anyone explain to me the difference between the Fafner and the TD650 in terms of sound? Thanks.

7. bassomane

bassomane

Apr 3, 2002
    Austria
    @ B String: Have you owned the HD350 and the Fafner?

Playing the HD350 for over one year, I can say I love the fingerstyle tone, but it needs some times to get it right. The charakter knob is the joker in this game. Setting it to low the sound is too clean. Setting it high you need to readjust the Bright knob. Depending on your style the compressor has to be adjusted with a special focus to the gain knob. The gain is responsible for the threshhold level. It takes some time to get used to all the possibilities but then you get the tone you want.

What I found out is that the EBS gear has incredible dynamics. This sounds good on paper, but is a challenge to play with. More compressed sounding Basses get a very dense tone, where lively sounding basses have to be tamed by a compressor to get the feeling you may want.

Luckily I have found a good combination. My ESH Various JJ sounds slightly compressed and has a very growly punchy midrange. So my main setting on the EBS is: all knobs in the middle with the charakter button pressed. The drive button is set to from 9:00 to 11:00. Jazz Style Basses sound better with the drive from 12:00 to 1:00.

As for the style suited to the HD350: I would recommend it for fusion, jazz, pop, allround. I don't think the 350 was designed for heavy rock.

P.S. Having a very good speaker simulator built in (rolls of the highest highs, increases the midrange) makes it to a winner live and in studio.