1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinions needed on D'Addario strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Amajew, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Amajew

Amajew Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Anyone have experience between the D'addario XL Nickel vs NYXT vs XT Nickel? I currently use the XL Nickel and like the extra tension of the nickel material yet they tend to get out of pitch just a bit rather frequently.

I use the medium light 45-130 5 string set.

2. Define "frequently". How often do you have to tune them?

3. Amajew

Amajew Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2016
    10-15 minutes of playing on average.

4. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    I've own XL Nickels and NYXLs only. Have no interest on the NYXT. Even the cheapest XL Nickel have stayed in tune for long.

How many wraps for each string do you have on the tuning post? I suspect they need more wraps.

tindrum and iiipopes like this.
  5. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Check the setup of your bass, the quality of your bridge and tuners, and how you install the strings with an even wrap all the way down the tuning post over a nut with properly cut and lubricated slots without binding, kinking, or overlapping. I use D'Addario XL 170BT's plus a 130 tuned to low C on my heavily-gigged party bass with USA Hipshot UltraLite tuners, and the only time I have any tuning issues is as a new string might take a tad longer to seat in.

tindrum and Aidil like this.
  6. Amajew

Amajew Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2016
    3 for the b string.
    I believe 4 for the thinner strings

7. Amajew

Amajew Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2016
    It's on a spector euro with the stock brass nut.
    What do you use for lubricant? Graphite?

I install by inserting the ball, then straighten the string to the post and add a palms width.

I make sure the string is unlinked as I start wrapping the string around the tuning peg. Once the ball end is close to being taught to the bridge I make sure the string is not binding then I insert the ball into the bridge and bring the string below pitch but with some tension. When I have all string on the bass i bring to pitch.

Once to pitch I will give a good number of pulls on the string at the 12th fret and retune till they mostly stabilize in pitch. I will let the bass sit overnight then tune to pitch and by then its usually pretty much in tune.

Not all the string come out of tune Mainly the B, E and sometimes A. It's not a lot, just usually a tad flat which is barely noticable when listening through the amp but the tuner reads it out of perfect tune

8. tindrum

tindrum

May 2, 2007
    Virginia Beach
    Good advice. I gigged XL’s for years and never had any tuning issues with any bass they were on. In fact I could play 3 sets a night and rarely make even the slightest adjustment.

Aidil likes this.
  9. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    I love XL's and have never had issues with them. I used them for 25yrs without a hiccup.

tindrum likes this.
  10. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Brass nuts are not the be-all end-all that folks used to think they were. They really don't help with sustain. That is a function of everything else. What brass nuts are notorious for are grabbing strings and causing tuning instability. Nothing beats a good bone nut cut properly.

11. Amajew

Amajew Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2016
    I'm wondering if it's the stock tuners?? Or anyone with a spector... will it make a difference if I didn't lock the set screws on the bridge after adjusting the saddle heights and intonation?