1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinions needed on handmade effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by giantjerk, Aug 7, 2007.

1. giantjerk

giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    It seems like there are several "boutique" guitar effects builders out there but not too many that specialize or focus on effects for bass.

I want to know what it is that, as a bass player, you would want out of bass specialized pedals and pedal builder.

Here is why I ask, over the past couple of months I have been working on several effect pedal prototypes specifically geared to bass and bass players. All the designs are true bypass and they will be available in a standard stompbox configuration and a rackmount configuration. I'm still working out the details on the rackmount but it looks like I will be able to fit up to four different effects in a single rack space size case.

Thanks,

Steve

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Always nice to see another up-and-coming builder on TB!

At the bare minimum, we tend to look for:

• little to no low end loss (the no-brainer requirement for most of us :D)
    • wet/dry blending is a plus with many effects... but so is a level knob to compensate for volume drops when blending!
    • if it's fuzz, clarity is a plus!
    Everything else is pretty much like what I'd expect from a similar guitar effect.

We all have varying expectations though - what's listed above is based on personal observations on TB and personal experiences.

I personally like my stuff small, simple but flexible, and dedicated to a single kind of effect (maybe two... maybe).

Others will have different expectations, though!

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    and blinding led's can't forget them.

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    You may prefer your cancer-inducing ultraviolet LEDs, but I like mine to be diffuse.

...but still bright!

...and blue.

...and blinding is cool, too.

:D

5. and a good sounding 8-bit fuzz!