Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

opinions needed

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bobyoung53, Nov 21, 2004.

1. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2004
    Millbury Ma.
    Short version: bought a new URB, in July, laminated, $1600.00 sounds good acoustically, but with either piezo (K&K) or magnetic PU the A string has virtually no fundamental from open A to at least the D maybe higher, I thought it was the strings, put a new set of Spirocores on it, sounds exactly the same. (acoustically it has a very boomy C on the A string.
    I have to EQ a lot of mid in the amp (SVT with two Ampeg B-15T's cabs) which I don't like to make the A sound close in volume with the other strings. Has anyone ever experienced this before? Could this be a set up problem? Solutions? the other three sound great and the D sounds better up the neck. I'm very happy with this bass except for this problem.

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I'd say that if the problem doesn't manifest itself acoustically, I'd try another amp setup or two to see it goes away. You're using an amp that is well-known for imposing it's own voice on bass tone, and that's not usually what would be desirable in the DB world. Could be that you're not so much hearing an insufficiency in the weaker range you mentioned as an unnatural boosting of freqs in the other ranges.

You might also try moving the piezo around to see if the response changes. Lots of guys here have had good results moving their K&K Bass Max to the treble side of the bridge. Mine sounds best on the bass side...

3. bobyoung53

Aug 29, 2004
    Millbury Ma.
    Thanks I appreciate your opinion but I've actually tried this bass in at least five different amps since I got it and have been using SVT's since 1975. I have also tried positioning the K&K different places, the problem is definitely something with the bass, which is why I mentioned the effect was the same with both types of pickups. The reason it sounds ok acoustically, at least in part is because acoustically you get a very complex sound with all kinds of overtones, that is not the sound I'm looking for most of the time although I think an URB sounds best unamplified. Something is deadening the fundamental of the string.

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    My reading of your post suggests that there is an acoustical problem to attack, if the C is boomy. Perhaps you have a wolf tone due to resonances with the bits of string below the bridge, or even the tailpiece. There is probably a lot of info on this forum about how to deal with wolf tones.

In terms of making the piezo work, a preamp is helpful because the loading of typical electric bass amp inputs affects frequency response. But this doesn't explain your results with the electric pickup -- a mystery.

5. bobyoung53

Aug 29, 2004
    Millbury Ma.
    Thanks both of you, yes a friend of mine who is also a member here suggested wolf tones also. He suggested I hang a fishing lure from the string past the bridge and see if that helped at all. I don't fish but I did have my jack from the K&K clipped between the A and the D strings and tightly so I removed it and it seems better, but I won't know until I run it through a big amp again with the mids cut which I plan to do tomorrow afternoon. I do use a preamp with the K&K, I have the stereo K&K preamp with the double bassmax and the bridge 4 piece pickup. I included the mag pickup in my first post because to me that proves it's something with the bass, not phase cancellation with the piezos or something like that or uneven amp response and it does exactly the same thing with all pickups and amps. I'll check around the forum for wolf tones, again as my friend suggested I do, hahah! Actually I like the big boomy C but I know that when you are building a speaker if it has resonances it gets transfered into mechanical energy instead of sound energy which contributes to uneven response and I was afraid that was what was happening here. I have a piece of cloth tied around the short strings on the other side of the tailpiece to cut down on feedback.