Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

opinions needed

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Pmutch, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Pmutch

Pmutch

Jan 16, 2003
    right now I'm currently borrowing my friends bass. He said I could borrow it until I learned,but someday I will have to return it, so...here are my options

1)I can get one of the numerous begginners kits I've found

2) I can get an expensive amp and other accessories now and when I give it back I can buy a bass

What do u think Your welcome for opinions or new ideas. thanx

2. I wouldn't recomend getting one of those beginer kits. Get something that you like, go try different basses out, Personaly I would rather invest in a bass before amps and all that other stuff.

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I think you need to break off all contact with this friend. You might have to to make up an excuse as to why you refuse to talk to him, just don't have anything to do with him. You'll need to lay low for a while. Don't take his calls or answer the door for him. If you can go a year without talking to the guy or having him call the police on you, then you can consider that bass YOURS. For now I'd be thinking aboutr buying an amp - you already have a bass;)

4. Pmutch

Pmutch

Jan 16, 2003
    ya I've been looking into an Ibanez SWR somthin-rather its 20 watts. I think that'd be a decent practice amp but who knows

5. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    I say Go with #2.

You show that #2 who's boss. And don't get all messy with #2 around here.

6. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Hold off on buying a bass until you actually know what you are looking for in one. Just learn how to play for now, the bass you are borrowing should take care of you for at least a year.

Use this time to start saving for a rig. Once you have an idea of what you want to sound like, then you can start looking at basses and amps together to see what combination will do the trick for you.

7. Pmutch

Pmutch

Jan 16, 2003
    I jinxed myself. I'm not supersticious but i did. Yesterday my friend came and got the bass. He says he'll return it, but thats VERY doubtful. SO I'm screwed. I have $300 and I need to keep some of that money for such things as Ozzfest tickets ,etc.
    so I'm considering a beginner's pack. I found a SIlvertone SW11 pack. It's pretty cheap. I realize its no Gibson Les Paul or a Fender jazz Bass or some high quality brand but won't it be good enough so that I save money and while I learn. I can save up my money and master the bass at the same time so maybe by the time I'm ready to step up to the 5er (few years) I will have enough money to buy a quality amp and bass. So what ya'll think, is this a good strategy?

8. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Go used, if possible. I have a Squier P-Bass that I could sell you for <$100 (see for sale thread here ). You could pick up a practice amp for $100 or so and still have $$ for Ozzfest tix.

9. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I second the idea of going for a used instrument - after all, you started on a used instrument, and that was okay until your friend took it back.

In the first instance, you're looking for something that makes it enjoyable to play - it's very unlikely that you'll go through your entire bass playing career without at least a few upgrades. At this stage you want something that won't hamper you rather than the most excellent bass that money can buy.

Wulf