Opinions of Michel Fournelle Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Walbodiddy, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Hi, All.

I've recently come across luthier Michel Fournelle's web site <a href="http://www.mf.qc.ca/index.html">(http://www.mf.qc.ca/index.html)</a> and am wondering about the quality and general opinion of his instruments.

If anyone has had experience with these instruments, I would appreciate any input as to their quality, tone and reputation.

edit: I've searched, yes, and found nothing, so the obligatory "Use the Search!" response is unnecessary. ;)
  2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Never heard of him.... Nice looking instruments though...
  3. Alain Caron played them for a while, so they must be nice.
  4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    don't buy one.
    Michel Fournel himself is a good luthier, but he doesn't work on these instrument anymore. His aprentice are not that great.
  5. Thanks for the warning. Either way, that transparent blue <i>is</i> quite nice.

6. I'm surprised (and disappointed) to hear that! I'm in Montreal and I always have his shop do my setup and repairs. I was seriously considering buying one of their basses but now, I don't know...

How did you get this information? Were you able to compare an original bass made by Michel Fournelle with one made by his apprentice? For my part, up to now, I had only heard good comments on MF basses.
  7. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    Joe's blast from the past...

hmmm. I am surprised. I was to his shop like in 2002 or so and I got to play some of the stuff. Very nice looking and played super well. Who knows if it was an older instrument or a newer one. I wonder if anyone has had any experience with them lately?
  8. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    I've played one this summer at the SIMMM, the red fretless 6er you can see on their site, in the SIMMM pics section. It was nice, but I was expecting it to be nicer. I they were a bit better than the basses that I've built for myself. Not that I suck, but I'm not that great either. I wouldn't pay more than 1800$ for a 5er.

Having said that, I have no idea how much they cost.
  9. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings

I like that one!

10. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Before I ordered my Lecompte I sent an E-mail to Michel. I asked him for a quote on the spec I sent him. It took between 2 and 3 weeks to answer the E-mail. He just asked me to call him. I hate to use the phone, I don't even have one here! That's why I send E-mails.
    I wanted to try his new bass also to see if they are better...

I tried a few fretted bass from MF. They all sounded dead.
    His fretless where nice though.

For my set-up tune up etc...
    I do my business with Saki Stevenson at www.stevensonguitars.com
    I does a great job and he is very fast.
    He doesn't take new costumer anymore, I guess that's a good sign!! :)
  11. turcmic

Jul 30, 2006
    Montreal, QC
    I've been playing playing with MF basses for the last 17 years. I had one made for me in 1989 with maple neck/rosewood fretboard, lime body (tilleul) with maple top, neck through body 5-strings with emg jazz pups with a preamp. I got the frets removed 3 years ago when I bought a 6 strings fretted ash body/koa top and maple neck/rw fretboard. All the sound guys (live and studio) love my basses because they barely eq them.

Both basses were made by one of Michel's employee, Jacques Simoneau, who's been working there for at least 15 years. Great craftsmanship. To give you an example, I played the 6-string in extreme temperatures : hot and sunny summer gigs and outdoor winter gigs. I NEVER touched the truss rod. The neck remained straight as an arrow.

I strongly recommend MF. The only problem (which is common for all reknowned luthiers) is that it takes a while to get your bass made. But it's worth every penny.
    Here's a pic of me pumpin' the 6-string
  12. Deep

May 8, 2002
    Very nice. That bass does look solid as a rock.
  13. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I would love one of these w/frets and tuned E-F.