Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions of Peavey BVX 115 cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by goran, Feb 17, 2003.

1. goran

goran

Dec 17, 2002
    Croatia
    Endorsing Artist: Bartolini
    I'm thinking about buying Peavey BVX 115 cabinet. I will use it with my Fender Bassman 100 head. Cabinet is rated 350W RMS. I know that 15" speakers suffer from slowness, but I guess that it won't be a problem because I won't push it too hard with my Bassman head. I play fingerstyle funk with occasional slap (80%-20%).

Some time in the future, I'll add 2x10, but now my funds are limited to 115.

Is there anyone who has this cabinet or played on it? Opinions please.

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    They have made variations on that box for about 20 years for good reason. IMO it doesn't have thunderous lows, but it is a very fast driver with a big magnet and very sensitive, and it really cuts thru a mix. It's a pretty big box but worth it if you can fit it in your car.

3. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    The Black Widow equipped 115 BX/BVX (only difference is that the BVX is covered in vinyl rather than 'rat fur') is a nice, utilitarian cabinet. I have a pair and really like them. As ESP noted, for a 15, they are very responsive and much brighter sounding than you would expect. I have had earlier PV 115's (the 1970s model with the horn-loaded port), but they were not half the cab the BX/BVX is. They will easily handle all the power of your Bassman and then some. They are inexpensive new and are downright cheap, used. You could buy a used one for between $100 and $150, try it, play it for as long as you like and sell it for what you paid for it.

Kim