Opinions of the Ampeg B-100R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gandolf Bassist, Jul 24, 2001.

1. Hey everyone, hows it goin. I was at my local music store and while waiting for my lesson I got the privilege of playing through an Ampeg B-100R. I was wondering if anyone else has had any expeirence with this amp. Good or bad. Any responses is deeply appreciated.
  2. steinbergerxp2

steinbergerxp2 Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    I tried a dozen or so combos in the 12/15 50/150w area, and ended up with the B100R. I can't say I care for the blue Tolex, but it has a good sound, decent controls, and got louder than anything else in the price range. It was the only one that I liked the sound of, that could also get loud enough for serious work. I like the sound for classic rock with a P-bass; your mileage may vary.
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  4. Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've had mine for a few months now. Everybody that hears it comments on how good it sounds. Right now I'm playing my G&L SB-1 through it, and it sounds great. I'll post back in a couple of days to let you know how my new Ray sounds with it.

I found this little guy at a pawnshop, and got it for $240. It's in mint condition and somebody had already put castors on it for me.

I like this amp so well, and am so convinced that it will be enough for me, that I sold my Fender Dualbass 400 head and Big @ss cabinet with 1-15 an 2-10's. The little Ampeg won't move as much air, for sure, but the quality of sound is so much better, that I'll just mic it if I have to.

5. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    I have a B-100R and I think it's probably the best combo on the market in its price range.
  6. Lots'o warm thumpy oldschool tone, great little amp. Can't beat it in that price range. Why'd I sell mine damnit!!!!!!!
  7. Hey thanks for the responses and Im going to chack out that other thread right now. And if some of you dont mind me asking, how much did you purchase yours for.
  8. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I got mine used for $199 and it looks brand new!
  9. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I have the B50R, the little brother of the B100R. I like it a lot; it's almost featureless, but it's got a great retro look IMO and, with the EQ flat, puts out a nice, rockish tone. If you like jazz bass growl, this would be a good matchup.

People complain that these aren't very versatile, but I think the look more than the sound is the reason for the complaints. A lot of amps are very transparent and colorless to begin with; you need to fiddle with the EQ to inject some personality. The Ampeg is the opposite: you need to use the EQ to dial the personality out of the amp. Rolling off the high mids and boosting the lows gives you the standard SWRish hi-fi sound if you need it.
  10. I own a B100R for 8 months and i recommend it to everyone. It´s very versatile. I just love the retro look. I´ve even performed a small gig with it, great punch. For studio recording, either lining it or "micing" it the results were great.
    It has 3 boost push buttons that come very handy when you need a fast band enhancer. For Slaps the mid boost is great. For "phat" sound the bass boost works it perfectly. for that brilliant shiny sound just push the treble boost. Of course don´t forget the eq., a great 4 band.
    Both passive and active inputs too.
  11. O man I want one, I found them for 479.00 I think on Musiciansfriend.com I think I might just have to get it. Thanx everyone for the responses, and more are always welcome.
  12. Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I have had on for a few months I played in jam session the other night with another bass player
    we took turns playing and he could not belive the
    sounds that came out of that amp He could not belive that this amp was solid state . And he play
    a SWR Redhead I just love this amp it just sounds so perfect with My G&L L-2000 I can get many sounds out of it . I have never felt that it was not loud enough
  13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's the fun part, when someone who hasn't tried one finally does. I know at least a couple of Super Redhead owners who have one now:)
  14. I had mine turned up no where near full volume, and the guitarist next to me, and 10 feet from the amp, said his pants were shaking from my amp!! I think I was on 7 on gain, and 6 on the main volume.....it's loud!