Opinions of the Gallien Kruegar MB150

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lowfive, Oct 11, 2000.

1. Lowfive

Mar 26, 2000
    I am really interested in this amp, let me know what you think if you have 1 or played 1.
  2. I owned a MB150E112 combo for about five years. It was a decent sounding amp and VERY portable. I used it mainly for jazz gigs on double bass. The GK amp is underpowered for playing with a funk band or rock band, although I did use it for gigs with a big band. I sold it when I bought my EA cab. I needed something that could put out more sound. The GK couldn't handle the B string on my electric.
  3. jfsjbb

Aug 29, 2000
    I have played a GK 200 MB for +10 years now. That's the predecessor of the one you're talking about.

These GK mini combos are some of the best things a bassist can buy. They are excellent sounding amps, very portable, and I <B>mean</B> portable, as you can <B>walk</B> to the gig with amp in one hand, bass in the other hand.

It is true that you have volume limitations, due to the small size and the relatively low wattage.

If you play in a mainly acoustic context, like with a big band or a jazz combo, it's the thing to go for. I'd never give mine away.
  4. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I have a MB150E for some months now.
    Good sound, IMHO it can handle the B-string of my Stingray very well, even if I push the amp hard.
    I push it to the limit when I rehearse with a pop/soul band (drums, congas, guitar, keys). In my main band I use a 400W set-up though...
    Portability is THE reason why I bought it.
    IMHO it has a strong mid boost in the 300Hz range, definitly no flat response, but you need this to cut through the band mix anyway. And when I do very low volume acoustic rehearsals I use the EQ to get rid of it.
    I have not found anything better at that size.
    But it is not cheap! If portability is not the problem you might be better off with something heavier.