Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions of the Ken Smith Burner Deluxe 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Folmeister, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    For whatever reason, I decided to take an audition with a very heavy rock group this week. It required a five-string tuned down to B flat. I whipped out my old Ken Smith Burner 5 and fired up my SM-500 with an Eden 4X10 XLT. I was not really impressed with the sound of the Smith (I switched back and forth with my Stingray, and the MM sounded great). Are there any other players out there who have experience with these basses? What are your opinions of the tone and electronics? Oh, by the way, it has two J pickups. Thanks!

:meh:

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Last year I saw a local modern rock/metal band whose bassist was playing a Burner 5 JJ through some sort of custom rackamajob. This guy had very nice tone overall, and absolutely nailed the Tool bass tone during the Tool covers.

The KS Burners seem decent enough to me. They do not sound like Stingrays to my ears. I think this is simply a matter of your own preference for the Stingray bass tone.

3. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Went back and found a review I wrote almost 4 years ago. I'd say it still applies to my perspective on the Burner Deluxe 5. I sold the bass not long after writing the review, for the reason stated in the review.

To sum it all up, I liked the bass, but sold it when I got a better 5 string, which to this day is still my main bass.

Old KS Burner Dlx 5 Review

Peace,

James

4. modulusan

modulusan Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2006
    I have one traslucid blue. Im very happy with the sound...full and very growly (the mic pickup). also, I think that the bass cant be affordable to some bassist because the narrow neck and 16mm betteween strings. for my smalls hands is the heaven.... and I think buy a 4 string soon...

5. Why did you have to tune down to Bb? Did you actually use that low Bb a lot, or was it mainly to make it easier to play in Eb? Did you have problems with floppiness, it being not only a B string but tuned down as well?

-Steve