1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opinions of this cello?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by NickyBass, Apr 20, 2006.

1. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Well, it's not DB related, but I thought some of you guys might have some expirience with cellos. I played for 6 years before starting DB. Of course, that was many years ago, but I have always wanted to try my hand at cello again. What are some opinions of this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fine-Old-Cello_...ryZ10178QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I know ebay isn't the best place to buy, but I thought that this one might be okay.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

My opinion is to forget it - as "cellomaestrofeu" will inevitably beat you to it!! ;)

3. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Since I live in NJ, I asked the seller (who lives in Philly) if I could pick it up in person. He told me that it wouldn't be possible because the cello is in Germany right now being used for a concert. I'm not sure I'm going to bid on this anyhow. I may try to get more info, but it concerns me that someone would sell an item on eBay that isn't even in the same country as the seller. And that it won't be back in his possetion even after the auction ends. Are you looking for a cello also? I'm not sure where to look...do you know of any good places?

4. ispider6

ispider6

Jan 30, 2005
    Nicky,

It depends on the quality you're looking for. If you're looking for beginner cellos, you should check out some music stores in your area or in NYC. If you're looking for cellos that are beginner-intermediate, check out Kolstein's (www.kolstein.com) on Long Island. He has about 20-30 of them spanning all ranges in price. If you're looking for intermediate-expert, check out the shop run by Rene Morel and Emanuel Gradoux-Matt in NYC. They have instruments ranging all the way up to Stradivari, Guarneri, etc. All this assumes that you since you're in NJ, you have no trouble getting to NYC. Hope this helps!

5. Bass Barrister

Bass Barrister

Nov 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Looks like this auction has ended, but, for future reference . . .

Stay away from Ebay. There are many good cellos available from reputable luthiers all over the country. Much like basses, they can be found as laminates, hybrids, and fully carved instruments. I have a good serious student - intermediate cello made in Germany in 1955. I paid $2.5k for it in 1985 from Bein & Fushi in Chicago. It's a fully carved cello with a very nice tone. Probably worth a bit more today. I'm posting this just to give you some idea of what's out there.

B&F is a major Chicago string dealer which carries mostly pro grade violins, violas, and cellos. They just happened to have the cello I bought in their inventory. No basses. I felt very comfortable trusting them.

All the tips you would use for bass shopping apply here also. Good luck.