1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opinions of this G&L

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rumzini, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I put this in the G&L forum as well. Just thught I'd put it in here as well...just in case.

Like the title says. I'm really thinking of making the plunge into G&L territory. I'm looking for a low mid monster. I think this would fit the bill. Can anyone explain to me the difference in electronics? Says it's a transition bass.

http://www.basspalace.com/dynamic/di...tringBass/3838

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Probably a nice bass. The "transition" refers to the design.

The front routed control cavity with a plate, three-bolt neck, two-tone bridge and control knobs are like the very early G&Ls. But, the extra little point on the headstock was added after a few years. The very early G&L headstocks where more Fenderish.

So, this one is in the "transition" time.

The only thing I don't like about the early ones is the 3-bolt neck. I don't know for sure when they dropped it.

The electronics haven't changed a ton over the years. There have been a few tweaks, but nothing that has really changed the signature sound IMO.

3. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Is thi the same pre amp that is available in the new units?

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I think the price is a littel high , make sure you excersise the art of the bargain.

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I've never had an issue with my 1981 G&L L2000E with three bolt neck.
    The early electronics had a "bass boost cap" wired into the humbucker (vs single coil) position according to G&L schematics and some of the guys at the dude G&L forum. I can hear this difference b/t my '81 and my 2000, it's not overbearing or muddy, just "bigger."
    Nice axe. Seems about $150 higher than market to me, but if it speaks to you, that's kewl...

6. Never had a problem with any three bolt G&L that I own...

7. I like the 3-bolt ones more. The micro-tilt is handy. No problems to report.

8. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Another vote of confidence here, for the three-bolt neck. 1988 SB-1, never had any neck problem at all.

9. the_home

the_home Gold Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    It's essentially like my El Toro, except the Toro has a trimmed down body and a pair of mini humbuckers - but all electronics are the same as is three bolt neck and top routed controls. It is a very versatile player.

Looks to be in fine shape, and includes the hardcase. Still, I'd agree that the price is rather steep. Offer $600 and meet somewhere in the middle (I paid $300 for my El Toro with ohsc. Sure it has some play wear, but still :eyebrow: )

10. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    All I know is G&L is awesome! :bassist: