Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions of Warwick Covette Standard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Disco_Gee, Feb 1, 2002.

1. I am looking at getting a new bass. I'm interested in getting a Warwick corvette standard. I would like to hear what you guys think about them.

BTW, I am not asking "should I buy this bass". That decision I will make on my own. I just want some opinions on them.

Thanx for your help! :)

2. I bought Corvette Standard 5 (active) for about a year ago. I just love the bass. I'm a fan of J/J basses and this one sounds great. I also tried the Corvette FNA Jazzman, and I liked the Standard much better. A little bit heavy, but it has a great tone. I play rock/metal professionaly, and have used the bass in the studio a few times. And I'm totaly satisfied with it. I highly recommend it to everyone.

3. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    i have the 5 string standard....awesome bass
    great mids, cuts like a knife. nice and heavy(im wierd... i like heavy basses) the neck is very comfortable. not real fast but i always feel at home on that neck...good bass

4. I used to own a Corvette Standard 6-string. It was a great instrument. Solid. Sounded great. Not that expensive. The only reason I sold it was because I bought a new 7-string and didn't think I'd play it much. I would definitely recommend the Warwick Corvette line of basses for someone who is looking for a medium-end instrument.

- Dave

5. I'd recommend it, with the caveat that you shouldn't pay more than $1000 for the 4-string and $1200 for the fiver. (I've never played a Corvette 6.)

The Standards are heavy as hell and don't slap particularly well, but if you play rock and need a bass that cuts through the mix like a 15-pound zweihaender through armor, don't look too much further. They balance well, the thick neck feels great for those of us whose palms are bigger than our fingers, and the tone is great. The only thing I don't like is that the B gets really muddy after about 7 frets. Of course, that may be due to the strings on the ones I've played.

6. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    -'s: Too heavy. Unbalanced. Needs more horsepower.

+'s: Basic sound is very acceptable in most kinds of music. Looks great.

7. cronus

cronus Guest

Jan 17, 2002
    Romulus, Michigan
    i played one at guitar center for like 45 minutes and i like it

8. I think Rickey are dead-on. I owned a Corvette Standard 6 for a little more than a year and while I think it was a good bass, there are some caveats to purchasing a Corvette Standard.

Like Rickey mentioned, balance is a big problem with these basses. My 6 was so neck heavy that neck dive was constant and severe. That's not to say that the rest of the bass was light - my shoulder was not too happy with the Warwick! The recessed straplocks on mine were beyond teribble - multiple failures during gigs was commonplace until I embraced duct tape (I don't think they're offering the recessed straplocks any longer).

The B was serviceable - didn't play or sound magnificent, but it worked. The Modulus, Peavey Cirrus and Millenium, and Lakland B's are all much more solid and defined, IMHO.

On the plus side, the sound is very solid and cuts very well. They have a tight and compressed sound that is very distinctive and very nice. While the Warwick couldn't handle tons of different tones, (like my Lakland), the tones it did create were very useable.

9. Hmm...there are some very different opinions here.

Well, thank you to everyone that responded. Where I live, it's very hard to come by any basses that aren't MusicMan, Warick, Yamaha or Fender, so my choices are fairly limited as far as being able to buy something that I know I will like. I have a AUS$2000 budget, so I think I might end up with a Corvette. Of course, it will be about 3 months before I can afford it! Anyway, thanks to everyone who gave honest opinions...you've all given me a lot to think about!! :D

10. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I have owned a carvette pr- line for years now! I can say that the older ones were twice the bass! Mine is a 90! Great sound great neck! Look for a used older model!