Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions of Warwick Dolphin Pro 1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bigwan, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Hi all,

I was just wondering who here has experience of Warwick Dolphins?

I've done a search and come up with a bit, but some of the info is quite old...

Does it growl the way all good Warwicks should? (the one I'm interested in is an early 90's model so it's the boire/wenge/bubinga combination I'm particularly interested in)

Cheers in advance

Ian

2. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    They are super sweet man.Pretty expensive though

3. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I had one, and it was the cat's @$$ except for its considerable weight. That was the only thing that I, or anyone else, didn't like about it.

The growl is there in spades - as a matter of fact, of all the Warwicks I owned it was the only one on which the wenge and brass on the fretboard really worked, to my ears.

You won't regret it if you get it, although they're nearly 3 grand brand new.

4. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    You better get a dolphin you can see before buying it or youre gonna end up with a pice of ugly ovangkol, the only dolphin i have seen that looks nice is that one in bass central, i have just seen 4 of them but thats quite a lot if you think that it is incredibly hard to see one in a store and even harder to see someone playing it.

5. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Mine was ovangkol and it was pretty sweet looking... YMMV

6. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    were you able to see it before buying it?

7. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    not to hijack the thread.... but actually no, all my Warwicks except one, were ordered straight from the distributor via BassCentral. I only had one bum looker out of the bunch, my fretted Buzzard didn't have as nice zebrano striping as my fretless ones did.

8. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

1 of a few its a good amount of lookiness, maybe with the higger priced models is different, but till today i havent see a thumb bass bolt-on that looks a litle like the ones in the warwick site.