Opinions of which Warwick to buy?!?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by warwick_bassguy, Oct 6, 2003.

1. warwick_bassguy

Oct 6, 2003
    I am going to buy a Warwick within the next month and I am having a difficult time trying to decide which one to get.

I have narrowed it down to either a thumb or a streamer.

I went to my local GC to play a few and they only had the thumb in stock. I tried asking about the real difference between the two (other then body shape) as far a sound and playablity but got no answers.

Any of you warwick experts out there that could help influence my decision?!

FYI - My favorite bassist is Dirk Lance and I know he plays a streamer but one of my other favorite bassists is the guy from Dave Matthews and he plays a thumb. I tend to play more of the funkish rock like incubus though.
  2. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    i really like the FNA Jazzman 4.
  3. lionel

Sep 3, 2003
    Guadeloupe - FWI
    i've got a thumb bolt on 6 strings wideneck and i really love it...the real ww sound...
  4. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    I at one point owned a Warwick Thumb neck through.
    If I were to buy another one,I'd get the same thing again. A little heavy on the shoulder. Nothing a nice fat leather strap can't fix.

Go for the thumb !! ;)
  5. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Check around for a used Warwick. Quite often the discontued models (FNA, Fortress One, Fortress Masterman) go fairly cheap...at least compared to a new one. Unless you are spending on a neck through, all of these have excellent electronics (if you like the Warwick sound). Note, each of these three sounds completely different, so if you find one, try it out to see if it is what you are looking for.

Just my 2 cents worth...

6. warwick_bassguy

Oct 6, 2003
    I have only played the thumb 5 BO... I really love the feel and sound of that one, but i have a hard time spending the money without at least comparing it to the thumb neck through and the streamer stage II. i am not really too concerened about the money at this point, this will be my 4th bass (i have a p.o.s crate for my first, then a dean 4, now my Ibanez EDA 5) and i want something really nice now.

Which has the warmest sound? the thumb BO, thumb NT, or the streamer S II?
  7. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    '96 Corvette Standard
  8. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Neck through's have better sustain and IMO a better sound. :)

The Thumb NT
  9. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    I have owned three Warwick bass and have loved them all in their own way.

The first one is a Thumb NT 4, I love the versitle tone, the action is low, and I love the smaller body style. The downside is that the reach to the first fret is a little longer than most because of how the bass sits against the body. It is a very high quality bass and I have always been a fan of neck through basses, plus the neck through Thumbs have a 3-band preamp.

Second, since I loved the Thumb above so much, I then purchased a Custom Shop Thumb BO 5 with a Ash body, Swirly Bubinga top, and Maple fb. This bass I really loved, the tone was to die for and the quality was #1. I did have a problem with the more narrow string spacing and was not comfortable playing it so unfortunatly, I had to sell it. I miss this bass a lot.

The third Warwick is my Streamer Stage II 4 string. This bass is my favorite 4-string bass to date that I have ever played. The tone is much different than the Thumb NT because of the wood used. The body is made from Afzalia and the fingerboard is Wenge, I have always been a fan of Wenge for use as a fingerboard and/or neck. The Streamers have a more traditional body style to them.

Buy what is comfortable and sounds good to you. I would recommend you buy a used one if possible, that way, if you sell it down the road you won't lose your shorts on it. My Thumb 4 NT is for sale if you are interested.

10. warwick_bassguy

Oct 6, 2003
    I would be interested in your Warwick if it was a 5... ever since I have been playing my 5 I cant go back.

Yeah, ideally I would go to me local guitar store and have every bass possible for me to try but unfortunatly I dont have that. I have thought of driving to Seattle to go to Bass Northwest, which carry both the thumb NT and BO so I could compare those but I dont know if the sound between them is really that different. The closest Guitar Center to me said that they would try to get a Streamer Stage II moved over but I doubt that I will actually get a call from them.

BTW - GC told me they would order me a brand new Thumb 5 BO for $1350. Do you think that is a good price or do you think I could work them down a little more?

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    Have you tried Bass Central or EBay? What kind of price range were you looking at anyway?
  12. warwick_bassguy

Oct 6, 2003
    I have not tried Bass Central (but will right now) and I am not very sure about buying something used off of ebay or anything for that matter. I have only been to GC and talked a little with Bass NW.

I would say my price range is $900-2500. I really dont care though, I just want something i really like at the best price i can get it.
  13. Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Artists Relations, KMI
    ive got a dolphin pro I fiver. I got it for $1650 shipped with all the accessories. it's the coolest thing ive played. very versitile tone. I've played straightahead jazz to fusion to funk to classic rock to hiphop to incubus-esque rock and back in one night. it's just that cool. but... if its between a thumb and a streamer, i personally like the streamer. preferably a streamer II.
    good luck, searching for basses is the most and least fun activity known to man :)

14. sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    i currently own a thumb 5 BO, and i love it. some dont like the heavy neck (baseball bat) but you can get used to it quick. the streamers are supposed to record very well, i hope to get one someday. Also, flea doesnt use warwicks, just modulus.
  15. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I like Warwicks, and almost bought a Thumb 5, though I had one complaint: the upper horn digs into the chest if you sit! Unacceptable to me! Warwick lost my business in that part of the design alone.

Anyway, the Streamer is a great body shape, very comfortable, and I actually want one. Whatever you choose, good luck!
  16. warwick_bassguy

Oct 6, 2003
    Yeah, I know... I was just ranking my influences. :) The guy from dave matthews plays a lot of different modulus' also.
  17. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i have a streamer std 4 and an infinity sn 4. i love them, i say go with anything in the streamer style. thumb basses are really awsome too, infinities of course and i played a dolphin sn and it was bad ass.

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    One day I'll venture into Bass Northwest to check some of their stuff out, but I'm kind miffed by the fact that they don't post all their prices in their Website. Seems like an ineffective way to sell merchandise.

I hear the Dolphin-Pro is a very good Warwick. You might want to try one of those out.

-good luck!
  19. I like the streamer body style, but you should just ditch the whole warwick idea and get a spector :D