Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on 50's-60's music.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Nov 27, 2002.

1. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    What is your opinion of the music in the 50's-60's? Like it, hate it? Any particular band you liked?

I have kind of gotten into this genre of music and have been wondering.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It pretty much rules. Let's face it, rock & roll was born in the 50's. Some of us were there.

3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    The 50' and 60's are great. There's good music from all eras really.

Well, maybe not the 80's... :)

4. Love, love, love it! It's the mainstaple of my music.

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Motown. Some of the greatest basslines ever.
    Also the Beatles. Elvis, Stones, Hendrix, lots of great music. Much better than most of what I hear today.

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    miles, trane, so many more.....

yeah, I like the 50s and 60s

7. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yep, these were the two most critical decades in the development of popular music from today's standpoint - more important than the 70's, 80's or 90's, IMO.

That said, I could probably be driven to the point of insane violence if forced to listen to too much doo-wop music ;) :)

Not a whole lot I love to listen to from the 50's, but as munj points out, this is where rock music was born. Without the music of this period, everything we know and love about popular music is off the table.

The 60's - now look out! The British Invasion, birth of psychedelia, surf music, and definitely Motown/R&B - this is where the seeds planted in the 50's start to blossom into some truly beautiful ****!!!

Not to discount the importance of the 70s-80s-90s, but what have we got? Hmmm... Disco is really just an evolution of 60's R&B; punk, new wave and grunge were each really just reinventions of the rebellion born in the 50's. Rap, Metal and Electronic music are no doubt some important influences that can be largely credited to the 70s and 80s - but frankly, none of those three really do much for me, personally.

Yep, it's all about the 50s and 60s, fer shure! :cool:

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Despite all the supposed musical freedom of genre mixing we hear about today, the 50's and 60's really did have a much more diverse array of music. And any decade where Brubecks's "Take Five" can actually become a popular single is great in my book.

9. Yep, the 50s and 60s gets my vote. In fact I dont much give a rats arse for anything other than the Stranglers and Elvis Costello and the Attractions after 1970.

10. You're loss. Doo-Wop is great, in my opinion. I can't get enough of the stuff.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The 50s and 60s were a "Golden Era" for Jazz and having started listening to music in the 70s; it's only now I'm going back and exploring all of it - so in fact most of the albums I buy and listen to now are from that period.

So just recently I bought 5 albums of music involving Horace Silver - with his own quintet and with Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers.

Of course Miles Davis great acoustic quintets started in the 50s and finished in the 60s. As well as John Coltrane's best-loved albums.

So - if you're talking about the best of acoustic Jazz (as opposed to fusion,Jazz/rock) then a lot of the very best classic albums are from this period. The list is endless - Miles, Coltrane, Art Blakey, Monk, Bill Evans, Sonny Rollins, Dizzy Gillespie, Freddie Hubbard, Blue Mitchell, Joe Henderson, Kenny Burrell, Wes Montgomery, Charlie Mingus etc etc

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm a product of the '60s(actually I was born in '58...whatever, I was 'musically' aware in the '60s). ;)

Anyway, that was the time when things really began happenin'...
    '50s Rock 'n' Roll was fast becoming '60s Rock.
    '50s Hard Bop morphed into Post Bop...then the '60s New Thingers began their screeching & wailing as a response to the turbulence of that political era.
    There was a lotta cross-breeding betwixt the Rockers, Jazzers, & R&B-sters...this sorta environment spawned guys like McLaughlin, Holdsworth, Sly, Santana, Stanley, Jaco, etc.

I could go on & on...

What kills me is how I'm still being hipped to bands from that period...bands I totally missed out on the first go-round.
    Example: The Pretty Things.
    Anyone know 'em? They are a British band that never really got their due(here in the States). They are in the Stones side of the house...perhaps a little more grittier & dirty, though.
    Check 'em out @www.allmusic.com

Also, at a different site, a very knowledgable poster was talking about a certain group TODAY that plays only with '60s amps/instruments, records only with '60s technology, &, of course, only releases their stuff on vinyl. He didn't mention their name...but that sounds too cool!

13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

It is indeed as important as any other era for music of all stripes.

We have history to draw on. Every decade has AWFUL music, we learn from that too.

14. It is like looking in the history books.
    The start of everything.

15. I'd have to say the late '60s are some of my favourite years for music... the peak of the Beatles and Hendrix, the start of Zeppelin and Sabbath, gotta appreciate that.

I seem to be gradually going farther and farther back in my musical interests, maybe I'll get to the earlier stuff in a couple years.