1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

opinions on 60th anniversary P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris Paget, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Chris Paget

Chris Paget

Sep 1, 2008
    Hello all,

I'm considering buying a p-bass and keep coming back to the 60th anniversary model that came out in 2011.

http://www.12fret.com/wordpress/wp-...-2011/Fender_P-Bass_60th-Anniversary-2011.jpg

The P-basses I've played have always delivered in terms of ease of playability and the core electric bass sound, definition and response that you would expect. Not to mention, the blonde finish and half-telebass look of this model is really sweet.

That said, has anyone had a chance to play this model? Would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks!

2. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
  3. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    ... Otherwise, the 60th Anniversary Precision is a Butterscotch blonde American Standard Precision.

Cheers,
    Wallace

4. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Not really. It's true that apart from appearance, all of its features are, or have in the past been, available in the ASP. However, the particular combination of features, culled from different eras, is unique. For example, the body shape and neck are contemporary, but the body wood (swamp ash), finish (thin laquer or "nitro") and pickups ('62 RIs) are different from modern ASPs. The only other way to get this particular combination of features would be a custom build.

I'm the guy who started the thread that Jeff K pointed to above, when I had the same question as the O.P. in this thread. If you read through that thread you'll see lots of discussion of similarities and differences between this bass and other ASP's -- and in most cases people like this one better for one reason or another.

FWIW, it took me several months of following this thread (as well as other sources of information) before I finally pulled the trigger -- and I couldn't be happier.

5. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Buy it. I got mine at the beginning of this year, and haven't put it down since. Best bass I've ever played. Not a single complaint, other than there's no way to use both flats and rounds at the same time, cuz they both sound fantastic!!

6. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Never meant to simplify but it happened:meh:

I just wanted to point out neck specs, body shape, HiMass Vintage stringthrubody bridge...

I dunno for the Split choice of pickup nowadays (I don't have no Precision: I admit I'm a proud Jazz bass guy...) but I really think brand new American Standard sport some kind of Vintage
    pickup I can't recall (my american standard Jazz is a 2010 one)

Ash body is something not that unusual, if past American Deluxe series and present Factory Special Run Standards series offer it

Then, more "historic", stay Nitro lacquer, HB1 machineheads, Butterscotch blonde finish, S shaped pickguard with additional chrome control plate.

Good bass BTW (and the price is aligned to American Standard
    as well): just not my cup of tea for
    Precision bass
    Nitro lacquer
    Butterscotch
    Vintage pickups

I play dowtuned thrash metal and my only Precison wise bass,
    for its massive power, is the Yamaha Attitude Limited II.
    View attachment 279961

View attachment 279962

Cheers,
    Wallace

7. Great bass! Almost made me want to buy a four string!

and you don't know me, but that is a huge statement! I was just blown away by it.

8. RaiderBass

RaiderBass

Oct 28, 2009
    I have one its a great bass, great bottom end. I treated myself after I got divorced so it is a special bass for me.

9. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Buy it! That's all.

:D No but really, I played one in the local store about 6 months back and if I'd had the cash I wouldn't have hesitated.

10. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I'm divorcing too

Are you suggestin' it to me for therapy?

Cheers,
    Wallace

11. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Dang, y'all got me contemplating divorce so I can get another one!! :)

12. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Are you sailin' on same ship?

Cheers,
    Wallace

13. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Don't get me wrong, I'm very much happily married, but when I bought mine in January, the wife told me no more basses this year (I responded by buying another bass two weeks later!!)

That said, I'd snag a second 60th in a heartbeat if she'd let me. This time in sunburst.

14. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    And wishing you well my friend

Cheers,
    Wallace