1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opinions on a 215

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ninerfan, Apr 5, 2009.

1. ninerfan

ninerfan

May 28, 2006
    North San Diego
    I'm thinking about buying this:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/msg/1107039709.html

and dropping in these:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=533023

Opinions on the cab and speakers would be great. Any info would help. I guess ideally I would like a cheap, light version of a NV215. I know the cab is ported and no where near the quality of a Berg (I own a NV610), but will it get me close? Obviosly I would be doing this without testing out the cab or the speakers, let alone together. Could this be a killer cab for $300 or is it just throwing $ away.
    I'm looking for something to leave at the drummers house (garage) and drag around to gigs and not have to worry about.
    I would be using it with my LMII mostly and maybe with my SVT-II, but the NV610 is perfect with thr SVT.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The cab looks awesome and is well worth the money. Unfortunately there's no way to know if the speakers are an equally good gamble in relation to the cab, without measuring the inside of the cab. So what I'd do is go get the cab without hesitation, get it home, measure it thoroughly (including size/placement of any ports, shelves, etc.) and post those specs here. Then the speaker experts can recommend a speaker that will work well with the cab, or they can at least tell you what specs you need to be looking for when shopping for the speakers.

3. I imagine a large part of the magic of the NV215 is the 6" driver used. Maybe you should look into greenboy's fEarful 15/6 design? It can get dangerously loud by itself and would give you optimal performance instead figuring out if you can find appropriate speakers after buying the cabinet.