1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opinions on a beaten up ebay find...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by addylewis, Apr 26, 2006.

1. '62 RI Precision MIJ...I've been gassing for one of these for about 5 months since I saw one just like it go for cheap...but its got some NASTY scratches on the back, yet its quite cheap, but the postage is a lot to the uk...

SHOULD I HAVE A GO AT IT? (I'd have to get the scratches sorted out though...I like them looking as near to "new" as you can get them)

2. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I say go for it! That looks almost identical to my MIJ mid 80's P-bass.

[​IMG]

3. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN

what is that in the middle? I love the neck........

4. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    you really wanna know?

it's an SX body with an Allparts neck and quarterpounder pickups.

5. zachbass02

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    nniiiiiicccceeeeeeeee............ =)

6. Looks like a Pbass body with a Jazz neck. Which brings me to ask, what is it with you guys and the multiple guitars by the same company? I dont mean to single you out. I just don't personally understand it. I like a lot of variety.

7. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005

So all Fenders are the same? :meh: My P-bass and Jazz are totally different beasts...

8. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Back on the topic.......that bass really doesn't look that beat up. Just looks like someone got the bright idea to carve their initials or something in the back of it.

9. zachbass02

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    If I could afford it I'd have a P with rounds, a P with flats, a J with rounds, a J with flats, even basses that are the same make and model can sound completely different.....i.e. the tonal differences between a 60ish J and mid 70ish jazz are very noticable.....2 Ps can be night and day too, like an ash body with a maple board will sound very different from an alder body with a rosewood board.....as you can see, I'm using Fenders as my examples....and like Junior said, a J and P are also very different sound wise.......Also, having 2 identical basses and using one as backup, that way if you break something during a set, just snag the other bass without having to re-EQ everything or tweak your tone for a different bass...

10. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I'd say go for it. First take a look at their return policy (I didn't read it myself), and if it sounds alright, then give it a shot. But when you get it and see that all the electronics are fine, I'd go look for a luthier or someone to see if they can somehow fix that giant H in the back. Unless that's the same initial as your name, in which case you can keep it if you want.

11. zachbass02

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    sorry to have high jacked the thread like that, bass in question looks very sweet........go for it, good price too, even with the outraggeous shipping costs.....

12. I like the idea of getting it then geting the back sorted...but wont that de-value it? - its a few years old already...

besides...I've already got 7 basses, do I really NEED another?

I'm not sure...but it is nice...AARGH:help: !

13. zachbass02

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN

it won't devalue it that much if you have it done professionally and get a good job done....besides, if you're looking for a collector piece, I would pass on this one...MIJ don't hold value like MIA Fenders do......MIJ are mostly player basses, and that's really about it.........and if you don't have a good P bass in mix of the 7, I would say snag it, everyone needs a good P in the old arsenal....

14. i say do 'er.

and leave the carving. character. it's travelled.

15. ...what if I already have? (I dunno, I've got a refinished japanese jazz from that period (a '62 RI) and this'd make a good half-sister to her...)

I've got 3 jazzes (one of them hot, one of them vintage RI), 2 mustangs and 2 precisions already (1 fretted and hot, one fretless and hot...) - I'd like a vintage RI precision to go with them...then I've got them all.

My mum would go mad though...and DON'T mention my dad...:rollno:

I've realistically not got the space (I used to be a guitarist as well...so I've got several guitars piled up (ACTUALLY in a pile against the wall in their cases) in the spare room...the same goes for my bedroom...only BASSES in bags!

we'll see...;) ;) ;) :cool:

16. zachbass02

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    nice collection there.......:D