Opinions on a few basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by davehunt, Feb 6, 2004.

1. davehunt

Jan 10, 2004
    I went down the local music store today to enquire about a new bass. I was told by the person in the shop, plus by friends that these bases are decent for the £250-£400 range (Taking into account that I want a nu-metal sound, e.g. Limp Bizkit, Deftones, System of a Down, Ill Nino):

Peavey Grind 4
    ESP B-305
    Tanglewood Warrior 2 (I believe they are called Cort in USA?)
    Ibanez SR885BK

I would appreciate some opinions on these basses, and any recommendations of any other basses I would be thankful for.

Thanks in advance,

P.S. No replys about "how much nu-metal sucks" please!
  2. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I've played a few Peavey's and they had nice necks and a good feel to me.
    I've never really played ESPs. None of the music stores in my area carry them but I've heard good things.
    Ditto for the corts.
    I think the Ibanez is a good bet. For my money you can't go wrong with them. They are a great value for the price and are very versatile.

So the bottom line is I like the Ibanezs and the Peaveys.

But most important is to play them all and find out which one YOU like the best. Which one feels good and sounds good to you and get that.
  3. davehunt

Jan 10, 2004
    Thanks for your help.

Have you got any recommendations on some ibanez models?
  4. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    These BTB series basses are pretty slick.

and you can't go wrong with anything from the SR series

and these RKB series look like the old ATK series they stopped making a few years ago.

Anyway, those are the ones I like, it all depends on how much you want to spend and how many strings you want. Just play several and see which one fell good and sounds good.
  5. davehunt

Jan 10, 2004
    Looking on the site, the SR500 and SR400 look pretty cool. Any feedback on those bases would be appreciated...
  6. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I owned an SR885 at one time. String spacing was way too tight and the hardware kinda felt cheap to me. I don't really miss it at all but it was a good intermediate bass for me years ago. I have no experience with the peavey or the ESP, though. I believe that Salvo from System used to play the BTB series. Both Sam Rivers of Limp Bizkit and Fieldy of KoRn played on SR885's at the beginning of their career's. Although, I believe Sam has come out and said the only reason behind choosing the Ibanez was based upoon the fact that it was free :meh:.
  7. Dave, I've played the SR400, and it is a very nice bass. The neck is similar to a Fender jazz bass, and the pickup has a good tone and is very hot. All in all, a very decent bass for $400 U.S.

Here's the Ibanez database at Harmony-Central. Just take the reviews with a grain of salt; some of those guys give everything a 10.

BTW, I have an EDA905F. This bass is extremely comfortable to play, and you can get a pretty good variety of tones with it. My bass is fretless, but I've played the fretted one a few times and it sounds just as good.

Good luck.

8. The Cort Curbow 4FL have a killer metal sound
  9. You mean Shavo(?) from SOAD? He played Warwick and Gibson.........no Ibi's AFAIN.........