1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opinions on a Mackie CR 1604 Mixer

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by bassplayerbob, Aug 9, 2012.

1. My band is looking buy a used mixer and found this locally for 125.00 with the 10 channel expander included, making all 16 channels XLR ready. Right now we run 4 Vocals, Bass, Guitar,Kick and Snare into a Mackie powered head, 808s i believe. From there we run the mixer out to a crossover and then to a Crown XTI 1000 bridged for highs and an XTI 2000 bridged for the subs. Our monitors run off the head. We mostly play medium sized clubs and some outdoor concerts. This setup has been working fine but its a pain to setup. Would the above board be a better alternative to using the head as a mixer and is anyone still using these in a full band situation? Reason for asking is that i know its an older model, late 90's, but all reviews call them a "workhorse".
    Thanks in advance.

2. MooseLumps

MooseLumps

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    It's going to give you more flexibility than what you have now, but it's not really going to simplify anything. There are going to be a lot of haters of the Mackie name and those who encourage you to spend more money on equipment that might hold it's value better, but that's not a bad mixer if it's clean and functioning. Parts might be challenging. test every channel and aux first, and if the price is right and it's functioning, go for it.

I'm using the younger brother, the 1604vlz, and I find it suitable. It's not going to knock you on your rump, but it's no shrug of a mixer.

Also, I believe that the main outs on the cr were 1/4". make sure you are looking at how the mixer is going to fit in the current setup.

3. Thanks Moose. Going to look at it tomorrow. He says it's all setup to test so....fingers crossed.

4. MooseLumps

MooseLumps

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    read the manual before you go out to test it, those mackies don't run the way other boards do. freaks some people out. seeing as you are coming from a mackie it will be similar, but it never hurts to read up.

5. Anyone else still using these?

6. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I have one (with the expander.) I'll use it until it croaks and there is no sign of that. With the expander, that's a pretty good price.

7. So, I bought the mixer and he threw in a 2 channel compressor, 12 space mixer rack and an ART reverb/delay unit, all for 200 bucks. All channels work with no nasty scratchy noises. The sliders feel nice and solid, not loose and wobbly. Now to practice my mixing skills....

8. MooseLumps

MooseLumps

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    swinging deal

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    At a buck and a quarter, you're getting a good deal, assuming it works fine. Mackies of that vintage are U.S. made and typically very reliable. They had some ribbon cable issues, but I think that was later.

10. I have owned a lot of the Mackie 1604 but not that earlier version. In have used one on occasion. I always liked them and their sound and I don't know why they are hated now but that doesn't matter. I have also owned and used the powered mixer as you do and used to need a second mixer to add channels. Now you can use it on it's own for monitores.

Good luck.