opinions on a new cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Skorzen, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Ok folks heres the deal: I have a Aguilar GS112 which sounds great, but I have been playing with a moderatly loud rock back for a little while now and the cab alone is not quite cutting it any more. I am upgrading my amp to a 700 watt poweramp(QSC) and eventually a sansamp RBI.

What I want to know is your opions on what would be a good cab to add(or replace). For now I am going to put a ball park number of about $400 new or used. I have been looking at either a Avatar 4X10, Bag End S15-D, or another Aguilar 112. Which of these do you think would be the best sounding/loudest combination, or what other cabs do you think would work well for me at my modest budget?
  2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Of the choices you listed, I would go Avatar. You might want to check out a Peavey cab also-a 4x10.
    A used SWR Goliath 4x10 might be a good choice too.
  3. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I'd go Avatar...but I also love Ampeg<---theyre costly though.
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL

I've heard the combination of an Aggie 12 and Bag End 15 works really well, but I think I'd want to try a second Aggie at the same time.

5. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I previously had a 2x10 + 4x10 set up (SWR) run with about 900w. I now play two GS 112s with about the same power and I can't tell you how impressed I am with two of them. Together they sound better (in my opinion) and more full range than my old gear, nearly as loud and they are certainly a lot easier to get around too! I don't think you'd be disappointed by dropping another GS112 on the one you've got!
  6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I really do think there's a synergistic effect that comes from using a pair of identical cabs...
  7. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I vote that you get another GS 112.
  8. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    thanks for the replies, I was origionally planing on another GS112, but I was not sure if I could get the volume out of it that I will need. I am planning on trying my cab with a friend's Epifani 112 to see how it did volume wise. I still plan on doing this, but seeing that I could get a avatar or other used 4X10 for the same price has me wondering a little.
  9. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I did a pretty "extensive" IMO review on four of the 112's out there. If money isn't an issue, I would opt for the Epifani 112 to go along with the Aguilar. If money is more of an issue, then look into adding another GS112. If money is really an issue, look into Avatar's 410 or 112 210 other. I think you will be completely surprised how much more sound comes out of 2 small cabinets vs one.

2 112's should give you enough volume if you have the head to push them. Please let us know how the Epifani/GS112 combination sounds. I'd be extremely curious.