Opinions on a purchase : To buy or not to buy? (Fender Fretless)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by YukoNarutoX, Aug 11, 2005.

1. YukoNarutoX

Aug 11, 2005
    Well, to start off, I am a 17 year old high school student. I've been playing music for over 7 years (mostly low brass) and I have been playing Bass for 3 years (on a fretted Peavy).I play in the school's Jazz Band on Bass, and I usually play Zeppelin and The Beatles covers with my friends as gigs for parties and the like (plus other stuff....60's, 70s, and 90's stuff).

With that said:

Should I spend 500$ on a new Fender Fretless Jazz Bass (American)? I know how difficult it may be to play, but I think I can get intonation down. Money isn't a problem, as I already have a car and am getting 100% college for my SAT and GPA in FL..........plus I have a part time job.

Any opinions on going Fretless? Will it be too hard? Well, thanks.
  2. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    You have a couple of things in your favor ..... 1st, you're a music student so it's assumed that you have probably developed a decent ear for intonation. That's the hardest part of a fretless, playing in tune, so that early training you've received will really help. Plus, you have three years on an electric bass already, so it's not like you're switching over from a double bass (which is a whole different set of techniques). And that same three years isn't soooo long that you would have developed a bunch of bad playing habits yet ;)

Fender's are almost always a safe bet, although I'm sure there will be a bunch of people telling you to try "this" or "that" bass instead. If it feels comfortable when you play it, then it's likely a good choice for you. Big warning, though ... for many of us, once we start playing fretless it's tough to go back to fretted basses :D :cool:
  3. I just made the cross-over from fretted to fretless, recently. Always wanted to try, but was shy about doing it, figuring it could be hard to get used to. Given about 2 weeks' practice time to get used to it, I'm already gigging jazz with it and loving it. Your fingers will know where to land after being trained, and since you're already playing it, will come quicker than not. It's not too hard. Like everything else, it just takes practice. I've got a Fender Jazz and haven't regretted it. Put the two together and you've got a great combination!

"Do it" = +1
  4. Great price for a bass that I really enjoyed playing and still GAS over. GO for it.
  5. I agree with pointbass 100%. I got my first fretless on a Tuesday and was gigging with it on Friday.