1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinions on a Rack for my Gallien Krueger

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nitrofix, May 9, 2010.

1. nitrofix

nitrofix Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    Hey all, don't know if this is in the right section, mods feel free to move if not, anyway looking for a 6U rack to put my stuff in, GK 1001rb, power conditioner, shelf for wireless, tuner, I would like to get one with wheels and a handle that pulls out, I've been reading some reviews on the SKB and the Gator and they aren't that good..Could anyone give me some advice on which one you use and how you like it, I would like to keep the cost around $175, I really like the idea of wheels and a handle but don't want a piece of crap that will break on me..Thanks for any advice......

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

OK, here's some advice: don't waste your money on a power conditioner - they're snake oil, aimed towards the uneducated... Instead, save rack space, weight, money, and get something like this:

http://www1.bottomdollar.com/p__Bel..._Protection,__25914058/zip_code=13027/st=zip/

Velcro that in the back of a 4 slot rack, get some 1' power cords, and call it good... Here's mine:

Rackpics001.

Rackpics007.

Also, I've went the rolling rack route, and IMO it's not that great - most of the time, you're subjecting your racked gear to alot of abuse by rolling it in one of those things... My rack is still only around 30 lbs, and that includes a 700rb-II, racked tuner, racked wireless receiver, and surge strip - very manageable, and the ultimate in gigging convenience, IMO...

- georgestrings

3. Brattbugg

Brattbugg Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Motor City
    I disagree with the power conditioner being a waste for one reason. While I agree that it doesnt do much for "conditioning" it does provide you with a rackmounted power strip that will not move around. I put on in the back of my rack. Now nothing will flop around inside knocking into other connections. You can get a Furman for $50 new and even cheeper used. I dont like rolling racks either, too many bumps on crappy parking lots.

Attached Files:

4. gregwatts2008

gregwatts2008 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Jupiter, Florida
    I concur with opinions 1,2, and 3

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I've got over 200 gigs on my rack as is, and nothing has "flopped around" yet - I'm not much for wasting rack space, money, nor hauling around useless weight... People have been using velcro in racks for years - it's nothing new...

To each their own, though...

- georgestrings

6. nitrofix

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    Thanks for opinion guys, you guy's with the GK amps, do you feel it's necessary to leave 1 space open on top of the amp since the fan is on top so it doesn't over heat, I play a lot of outdoor gigs in Miami and with summer coming up although it seems like summer now, did a gig last night and it was brutal, around July, August it's going to be hot as hell down here...so is it better safe than sorry to leave an open space...

7. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    Yes. Its not a matter of safe or sorry, you will be sorry if you cover that hole.

8. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

No, I don't leave an open space above my amp - as is shown in the pic... My tuner sits directly above my amp, and only covers about an inch of the vent fan - the rest has plenty of room... I've gigged this setup in temps approaching 100F, without ANY troubles whatsoever...

- georgestrings

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

See the above post...

- georgestrings

10. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I use a 4 space SKB shallow rack right now. I currently have a space between the top of my amp and the tuner, and I covered it with a perferated 1U cover. I just did it so I can have that 1U "shelf slot" to to put my wrapped cables in there. I also use guitar hangers to hang my basses from so I don't need to bring a stand. Those also store in that shelf too. There is a lot of room in there.
    I agree with Georgestrings in that as long as you don't cover the air intake of the fan completely, you will be fine. I've also put my 1001RB in a 3 space rack partially covering the intake with my tuner with no problems. I like rack mount power strips if I can use them, and you can find the cheap Furmans at GC for $20 each sometimes.

11. nitrofix

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    Hey George, where did you get the 1'' power cords for the GK and the tuner, I got a Gk 1001rb and the same tuner....

12. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    He said that he only covered about an inch of the fan, meaning that airflow mostly unrestricted. I assumed he meant that the whole thing would be covered, which would be a problem.

13. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    I'm a diehard GK user, and have had many GK heads in many different racks. I've never used a rolling rack, but the regular racks made by SKB/Gator are my preference. After using a few hardshell racks, they don't seem as strong or sturday as the molded plastic ones.

I'll also concur with leaving room above your amp. As others have done, I used to put my tuner directly above the amp, and I had zero problems.

14. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Rolling cases suck ... they beat the crap out of your gear (breaking solder joints and connections). I like Gator shallow cases, but then I don't have a 800 pound gorilla roadie movin' my stuff, I do it all myself. I leave an empty space directly above any amp ... I fill the front of the rack with a louvered filler strip for appearances.

15. nitrofix

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    So will a shallow rack be fine for a GK 1001rb, shelf, tuner and power conditioner ??

16. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I got mine out of a discount bin at the Syracuse GC - I think they're either a Hosa or Live Wire product... Those cables definitely clean up the back side of a rack, and have worked out great...

- georgestrings

17. nitrofix

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    Thanks George...

18. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    The SKB roto-x effects racks only come in 2, 3, and 4U (Sounds like you need 5) and do not have the same back opening as Georgestrings does. They are shallower than the gators (Which I believe you can get in 6 spaces), and have a removable rear panel that locks into a fixed back wall. If you put the amp in the bottom, you pretty much have to plug the speaker cable in and leave it in because you don't have enough dept to remove it.
    I wouldn't put a metal shelf directly above the amp unless it has a lot of holes in it. I don't actually have a shelf, but use the top of my amp as the shelf. You could do the same thing with the perferated single space rack cover and you wouldn't have to worry about heat at all. Those cost less than $10.

ry%3D400.

You also need to make sure that the power conditioner is deeper than whatever gear you have directly below it, or you won't be able to plug any walwart type power supplies directly into the power strip. If the power strip has outlets that go sideways, then it should be fine.

I have a power strip/ tuner combo in the top of my rack so I save 1 space. It's just a TU-2 tuner in a cheap Furman power strip. Lots of room in those tuners for other things.

You could also mount the amp in the top 2U of the case, and drill a few holes into the case to aid in ventilation. Then it wouldn't matter what was below it. I would do this if I had a 2U case for a GK RB amp.

Carvin has a 5U shallow case that I have wanted to try as well.
    Wes

19. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I've gotta tell you, after gigging with a racked setup for awhile, I'd NEVER use a shelf in one - carting around a big, heavy rack for gigging will get real old, real fast... Seriously, take it from the voice of experience - skip the shelf and power conditioner - there's plenty that can be done with a good 4U rack, and they're alot more manageable than a 6U one - besides more common on the used market...

After this post, I'm won't keep hammering my point home - I think you'd be making a mistake by buying a 6U rack and putting a power conditioner and shelf in it - and will come to regret it later, should you do any frequent gigging with it...

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide, though...

- georgestrings

20. nitrofix

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    You got some great points George, The whole reason to go with a rack is the lighten my load, going to be joining the over 50 club in about 5 months.. I could go 4 space like you have and skip the power conditioner, the reason I wanted to use a shelf is to Velcro my wireless on..I just got the tuner and a new cab today and want to get this rack together by the weekend..I'll get it figured out, and thanks for all the opinions guys....