Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

opinions on a squire bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmonkey144, Aug 9, 2003.

1. hey, any opinions on the squire p-bass special? i dont nearly enough money to buy the fender model. so i thought id go with the cheaper version. :D
    any thoughts on it?

2. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Keep on saving. The squires are crap IMO. Very poor quality, inadaquate tone, go out of tune fairly easy (at least the ones Ive played did)

IMHO/IME with Fenders and basses in general, you'd be better off saving more and buying a better bass. You'll actually thank yourself for it more in the long run.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I am selling my Fender Jazz Bass for around $300. It is candy apple red and the body has no scratches, just the back of the neck has some small dings. THe extra few bucks now will make you happier in the long run. I just put new strings on it too. PM me if interested.

4. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    If you want the squire, try to play the exaxct one you will end up taking home, because the squires are usually inconsistant in quality. What i would do is try to find a used fender in your prdice range. It will be better in the long run, and have a bvetter resale value.

5. I'm not really a fan of fender basses.. SO Im not exactly going to tell you to save for a fender.
    I'm just going to advice you that if you really want a fender or squier.. consider a JAzz bass.. I've played only a Squier Jazz, and it was decent, but I've played many Squier P's and felt like crap.. Those pickups.. feel like they'reattached to the body with a shoelace.. but I've felt the same with Fender P basses too.. so.. and maybe I am just anti-P bass all the way, cause I dont think all Squiers are bad quiality. My Korean Squier Stratocaster is a very good guit, very well built and nice sounding.. I jus't feel that P bass arent very good, and its worse if they are Squiers.. I know there are tons of happy squier P owners.. but maybe you should check out for more options first.

EDIT:

OOPS! I just noticed it was a Special P.. I' have never played one of those but it seems to have better tunning machines and it has a J PUP..

Well..

6. diskette7

diskette7

May 25, 2003
    i've been very satisfied with my squier bass. it was bought as a beginner instrument, and it served its purpose very well. like people have said, the quality is inconsistent, so i might have gotten "lucky," but still, the fact remains that i'm pleased with what i have. since then, i've moved up to a fender and definitely notice the difference in tone, but for a beginner short on cash, squier's are fine.

7. My P bass special was/is fairly good, and sounded pretty nice. I like it because it was the only Squire P bass special I have seen that had no pickguard, so it looks pretty sweet too.

It worked very well as a starter bass, and the great thing about it is that once you do upgrade (because you eventually will) you can easily sell it to a friend or keep it as a beater bass for those times when people want to touch things.

I know my Squire sees a lot of use at the daycare I volunteer at. The kids love slap bass ;)

8. I've never owned a Squire, but the ones I've tested were quite crappy. although it seems like there are several kinds of squiers, maybe Sweden is missing out on the more expensive models?

9. genesis6891

genesis6891

May 29, 2003
    Nee-nor-nee-nor here comes the Squier-defence one man brigade! :)

I got a Squier Jazz, made in Indonesia, a few weeks ago through Ebay. It had been modified Jaco style, in that it had been defretted and varnished in the same way with the same tools and epoxy putty etc etc. Original parts were replaced with vinatge fender parts, such as the tuning knobs and stuff, and scratchplate was removed. However that's all aesthetics stuff.

My point is is that I've been amazed. The tone and playability of it is amazing and like nothing I've ever played before. It's either a case of being extremely lucky (especially as I got it thru Ebay!!) or it's down to the fact that Squiers are not bad basses - but people hear from someone else that they are rubbish, and just repeat it for the hell of it.

Go for a Squier Jazz - you won't be dissappointed.

10. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I owned the Squire P-Bass Special and it was a great bass. The guys in the band were surprised it was a Squire. It would seem that the Indonesian made Squires are the ones to get because the Chinese ones I tried just didn't compare. For the money you could also try, as was suggested, the Essex basses. I would also recommend Yamaha. They are also very good for the money. Still, if you heart is set on the Squire you can't go wrong as long as you try it before purchasing - this applies to all basses, boutique or otherwise.

Dan :bassist: