Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

opinions on a Stu Hamm Urge II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RS, Aug 15, 2001.

1. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm close to buying a Stu Hamm Urge II, but I'd like some more specific opinions on it. I have never played one, but I like the 34" scale, 24 fret neck and the pup configuration seems cool.
    How is the neck shape? Is there good access to all the frets? How are the pups and preamp? are the pups is the same relative position as on a jazz bass or p bass? Any specific likes or dislikes? How does it sound it the mix? What kind of music do you play with it? Other considerations

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Test drove some but don't own. I like them but think they're somewhat overpriced at around $1200. The instrument does Stu's bubbly "active P" tone very well, and the bridge J mixed in tightens up tone a fair amount. However, there's no preamp bypass switch, so if you prefer authentic passive tones, you might want to pass.

They're certainly the most ergonomic of all Fender's production basses; lightweight, small body, very fast neck. Fender traditionalists might regard the instrument as a little "dinky", but I don't think the light weight impairs the tone any. The neck heel, while "tilted", is typically Fender-blocky; thus, second octave work isn't necessarilly effortless. Paint and fretwork were flawless on all the specimens I've seen.

Love the pickguard shape. If you dig in while slapping, the JPJ pickup configuration might get in the way. That's all I can think of.

3. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks for the info

4. I just ordered a new one, 3-Color Sunburst. I'm told that I should receive it between the end of September and the middle of October. I've only played one, and that for just a few minutes. I liked what I found during that short play.

I sold a White Blonde AmDlx P to finance the Urge. I liked the P, it was pretty and had a nice neck, tons of sound variations. However, almost everytime I would decide to use a P-Bass, I find myself reaching for my AmStd P. I had to force myself to use the AmDlx. So, getting a bad case of GAS for the Urge II, I decided that I could afford to part with the AmDlx P, as I just wasn't using it. Don't know why, it was really a beautiful, well made instrument. But.......

When I get the new Urge II, I'll post about after I've had a chance to ring it out, practice and gigs.

5. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks Sammy. Let me know how you like it

I just bought the Scratch and Dent one off MF.
    If I don't like it, its going back. I'll post a review when I get it. I got an okay price, hopefully its not trashed.

6. I personally know three people who have bought scratch and dent stuff from MF. In all three cases the blemishes were superficial. They were all happy with their purchases. I know that's not a guarantee, but at least it points to hopeful results.

7. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    muchos gracias el Sammae

8. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    MF had a scratch and dent one, so I took the plunge. I was really interested in the pup configuration and the 24 freth 34" scale so I picked it up.

I've played it the last couple days, and I decided it is going back. My first gripe is the cutaway is nowhere near deep enough. It is impossible to get to the 23-24 frets, and 21-22 are not all that easy to access either. Secondly, the eq is not all that great. Maybe I am spoiled by my basses with Bartolini eq, but it seems rather harsh on SH. The bass boost/cut is way to dramatic, to my ears. Lastly, when a 3 pups are on, the bass is noticably louder. So if you had the two jazz pups working and wanted to flip the switch to get the 3 pup sound in the middle of a song, you would need either a volume pedal or to just be able to play way quieter. These are rather serious design flaws for a bass in this price range. On a more personal preference, I would like passive pups and electronics as well. The noiseless pups on the SH aren't bad, but they are very modern sounding.

I do like the shape of the neck and body. It is comfortable to play, and the construction and finish are very nice. The Sapphire blue metallic, which looks blue on the website, is actually quite purple looking to me. The overall look of the bass is appealing I think.

I do like the number of pup combination and sounds you can get with the pu selector and pan knob. The p pup and jazz neck pup with a slight treble boost was nice. I also like all the pups on at once. But my favorite was the straight on 2 jazz pups. I guess I'm a jazz bass fan for life. In a bass, I really don't expect one bass to do it all. If I can get one really good tone out of a given bass, I'm pleased.

If I could find this bass used for $700 or so I may take it, but for the money I can find basses I like more.