1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinions on a tight B

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funkdrawer4, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Funkdrawer4

Funkdrawer4 Registered Abuser

Who makes the tightest B string on the least expensive bass?

2. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Depends on your price point...

Under $500 = Squier Deluxe Active Jazz V

Under $1000 = Lakland 55-01

IMO/IME of course.

3. Funkdrawer4

Funkdrawer4 Registered Abuser

lets stay under 500

4. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    I AB'd a $1300.00 Lakland Skyline and a $2200.00 Sadowski Metro with a G&l Tribute L2500 and found the B string clearer and more bassy sounding on the $450.00 Tribute. The only drawback was the weight-!0.25 lb.

5. Pick yourself up a 5 string SoundGear, one of the older series with black hardware, SR645, SR885 or SR405. Fit 'em with a set of 50-135 D'addarios, with a tapered B, and you're set.

The tightest B string I've ever played!

6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I vote for a used Skyline 55-01.

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Wha?????

It that really the new price for a Skyline. Which model/options???
    Where??? :eek:

Wow, I think I paid about $930 USD in 2002, IIRC, for a 55-01 Deluxe including a vintage-style case that fits 35" scale basses. This was in Northern California.

I keep seeing Skyline 55-01s on the web for under $770 USD, new. Used ought to be $500 or less...IMHO.

Mind you, mine isn't for sale!!! :D :D :D

8. My 55-02 Deluxe was $1700 plus taxes in Canadian funds (Plus anothe $120 and taxes for the Lakland gig bag). I think they were going for about $1200 or somesuch in the US at the time...

9. A used peavey foundation bass, or any use US peavey for that matter. They have the five string thing down.

lowsound

10. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    i for one, love to slap a tight B.

just want to throw that in there

having said that, the tightest B ive ever played was a stingray. though its not under 500.

11. scarekrow

scarekrow

Jan 27, 2007
    When you go to a 35" scale neck, you increase the string tension to get up to standard tuning and that produces a tighter sounding and IMO more usable (in the mix) B string.

12. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    It was a 5502 with the humbucker and single coils on it. I thought it was a bit heavy as well. This was about 2 months ago. I tried one yesterday at Sam Ash which also cost $1300.00.

13. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm assuming you mean a used Tribute? That's a heckuva good price.

14. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    Brand new, before taxes-so that would be $488.00 out the door with gig bag. Is that a low price or something? If it was 1/2 lb. lighter I would have bought it.

15. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
  16. theophilus762

theophilus762 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Durham, NC
    I actually played one of these this past week, and the B string literally made me laugh at how floppy it was....

17. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I played one at Guitar Center a couple days ago and I was amazed at how good the B-string was for such an inexpensive bass. :eyebrow:

18. Well, that goes to show ya how many of the inexpensive basses can greatly vary from bass to bass.

19. melt

melt

May 16, 2007
    The tightest-sounding and feeling B I've ever played (and that includes on 35" and 36" scale exotic basses) was on my old 34" scale Sei headless Flamboyant.

20. sjb64

sjb64

Aug 2, 2007
    The bass shouldn't be the only consideration. I believe that the brand and type of strings contribute to the tightness of the B string on any bass. Having said that, I'd suggest trying out a bass with strings that are known to be good, such as Ernie Ball Slinky's. I've never picked up a Ernie Ball Musicman 5-string that didn't have a tight B string. My inexpensive (almost $500; not quite that cheap) fretless Musicman Sub-5 bass has a very tight B string.