opinions on a Yamaha TRB4.. older style

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass349, Jul 5, 2005.

1. hey guys,

i'm looking at purchasing a used yamaha TRB4. it's one of the older ones, bolt on neck and a J/J pickup setup and 3 band EQ. Yamaha does my head in with all their model names and changes, but from what i can figure, the TRB4's now have a twin humbucker setup.

it's selling for $599. from what i've read these originally listed as $1500. true? reckon that's a good deal?

from what i can figure it's the same as the one James showed in this thread http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177091&highlight=yamaha+trb4

originally i was after a BB1500a, but they seem to be a bit of a rare commodity now days. I figured the JJ pup config on the TRB4 may be kinda similar. also, from what i can understand, the TRB's are a higher range instrument.

just wondering if anybody has had any experience with this bass, and your opinions on the versatility of sound, neck, playability etc.

that'd be greatly appreciated.

Andy O'Neil.
  2. G-Man

G-Man Keeping it Solid

Jun 1, 2005
    South Carolina
    I've been playing an original TRB-6 for about 7 years now. It has been an outstanding bass. Real good tone, plays both slap and fingerstyle very nicely, and has sustain to die for. I assume there may be some subtle differences between the two but they should be enough alike that my opinion, and that is all it is, MY opinion, should be somewhat informed.

You will not see alot of used TRB's, but if e-Bay is any indicator, $599 is a typical to slightly high price depending on the condition of the bass. These basses were the top of the line for Yamaha, and were pretty expensive at the time. My TRB-6 listed for about $1600, so the retail you mentioned may be a little high, but not alot.
  3. thanks a lot mate, that helps heaps.

the guy rated it as 9.8 cosmetic condition. and it looks from the photos to be in 'as new' condition. i'm just emailing him now to make sure the neck is all good (fretbuzz/deadspots etc), and hopefully i will be purchasing it soon :)

really i just needed somebody to give me the nod of approval ;)

4. Ozbass

Apr 11, 2005
    I'll give you a nod from over here in South Aus too!
    I recently got a Yamaha TRB5PII and it is superb. Build quality, tone, playability....all good.

A friend of mine had the TRB 4 for years and rated it highly.

5. now, i gotta trust a fellow aussie's opinion :)

thanks mate. i think the trbpII's are kinda different from the older trb's. but from what i'm discovering, yamaha's in general have a great reputation for quality basses.

all the best,
  6. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    I just got a mint 1996 TRB6 for an incredible steal ($350.00 bucks !) which list for about $1500.00 USED !and this thing is a players'dream.It is not a very loud bass,but it has amazing clarity.but I am planning on installing a Aguilar op3 or proably will use a Aggie 924 di box ither way it is a fantastic instrument,and if you have a chance to get any of the early TRB'S do it !,because the construction on these things rival A LOT ! of the highend boutique basses that's out here,and in some cases even surpass (IMO)them.
    Good Luck :)