1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opinions on adding a 2x10 to a 1x15 combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr Bassman, Apr 6, 2001.

1. Mr Bassman

Mr Bassman

Aug 28, 2000
    UK
    Bit of a follow on thread really but I just wanted some opinions on adding a 2x10 to my 1x15. I'd like to keep the cost down (about £350 ($450)) ideally and and it can't be too heavy or bulky. Oh yeah, and it needs to be available in the UK (tall order huh!).

Any views welcome...
    Cheers - Niggy

2. i'm in the same situation, and my plan is to get a carvin 2x10, then later on trade the combo in towards a bag end 15 and a head, probably GK or SWR. the say the carvin cabs are incredible value.

3. i've already got the 2x10 and I'm searching for a 1x15. it's a great combination. there's a couple factors involved.
    A. What's your rig?
    B. What kind of tone do you want?
    C. Are you going to Bi-amp the rig?(is it possible?)

4. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Isn't Warwick gear cheaper in Europe than in the US? I'd think they would have a 2x10 in their line,or else Trace Elliot.

5. Mr Bassman

Mr Bassman

Aug 28, 2000
    UK
    My rig's a Trace 7215 SMC 1x15 combo. My band play all kind of styles versatility is important, but a cab which is oriented towards a good fingerstyle, and a good slap sound is important. Lastly, unfirtunately I can't bi-amp the rig cos (basically it aint as swanky as that!).

I was looking at Ashdown's MAG 2x10, v. light, not sure about the price though?

Niggy

6. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    My advice -- based on my experience -- is to do it. One-speaker combos can be somewhat boxy and one-dimensional in sound.

I had a Peavey Combo 115 a couple years ago that I liked, but I was looking to fill out the sound. I added a Peavey 210 TXF cab and was amazed at how much color and dimension the second cab added.

Plus, you'll lower the impedence load the amp sees and boost overall output.

I really like the 1X15/2x10 combination -- that's my current set-up. The 15 gives you those deep fundamentals, and the 10s add the punchy mids and some highs.

7. hmm...you might want to go for something a bit more modern. Trace Elliot or SWR, that's what i would go for.