1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

opinions on "amp" style knobs?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jweber76, Jan 26, 2012.

1. jweber76

jweber76

Aug 10, 2011
    Attleboro, Ma
    I just swapped the knobs from my Epi Rivoli onto my Squier P to see how they looked. I think fender calls knobs like this "amp" on their website. I'm planning on adding a tort pickguard as well... Any thoughts? Anybody else rockin this look?

2. Hi.

A pic would make a world of difference, since Fender has used several different styles of knobs over the years.

Personally, the vintage "hat knob" from the 70's or whatever it's called, was my choice back in the day when I started out.

Nowadays I rarely swap the knobs.

Regards
    Sam

3. jweber76

jweber76

Aug 10, 2011
    Attleboro, Ma
    Yeah, I tried to post pics but the upload manager said I don't have enough space... Only get like 5mb? Any way to get around this?

4. Hi.

There's a "good" way and the "bad" way.

The good way is to host the pic on a site like Photobucket and link it here, the bad way is to just link the pic from somewhere in the net.

The former usually works, at least ATM (You probably know what I mean), but the latter may result the pic to be changed to something "inappropriate" ;).

Regards
    Sam

5. jweber76

jweber76

Aug 10, 2011
    Attleboro, Ma
    IMAG0223.

6. jweber76

jweber76

Aug 10, 2011
    Attleboro, Ma
    IMAG0224.

7. jweber76

jweber76

Aug 10, 2011
    Attleboro, Ma
    Ok, so there is a little trick to doing it from my phone... Way to derail my own thread! Thanks for the help! Now, to the top... Your thoughts?

8. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I have never, ever, ever looked at the numbers on any knobs on any guitar or bass I'm playing to see where they're "set". In the darkness of most live situations, it's nearly impossible.

I use dome tops on most Fender-ish basses.

9. Hi.

You're welcome.

Yep, that's the kind of knobs I had in the 80's.

I can't really say whether I disliked or liked 'em, but I do admit that in Your bass, those do look kind of cool. I don't think I have ever seen 'em on a P before.

Fender had those kind of knobs on some guitars in the 70's or 80's though if I'm not mistaken. Lead series ???

Regards
    Sam

10. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    They look fine to me.

11. jweber76

jweber76

Aug 10, 2011
    Attleboro, Ma
    I don't look at where my knobs are set on stage but I also never change them during a gig. Numbers are not required but I do like to have a reference point for where I set my tone (or individual vols on my Js) in practice, warmup /soundcheck. This is also a bit of an experiment, as I don't really like the knurled chrome knobs on Fender basses and had these in my parts box. (please understand that I mean no disrespect to the iconic look of the P or the various versions of the J that have come with them over the years!)

12. nervous

nervous Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Beautiful Central, NY
    +1

Completely agree with this. It's always been a feel thing. All the way down and a certain degree of rotation down, the other way around, or up or down from a center detente. Really easy after a while. The numbers would simply be a cosmetic feature and completely impractical for me.

13. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    It looks alright, it is your bass, customize it anyways you wish. I will say I prefer the screw on barrel knobs though on my two P basses, they just seem to stay on better.

14. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    Those are Fender skirted guitar amp
    knobs.

I don't like um.

They look like dinkey Strat knobs. The
    only reason they use them on Strats is
    so they will look like a Strat. (Dinkey)

I always thought "amp knobs" looked
    something like these,

1-18-6b.

Tabdog

15. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    I use strat knobs on my surf green P with a black pickgaurd. One knob is black and one is white. The reason for the two different colors is that they were the only knobs that I could find while assembling the bass.

16. jweber76

jweber76

Aug 10, 2011
    Attleboro, Ma
    The knobs came off this guy. A mid 90s epiphone Rivoli reissue. I put on some Gibson style knobs for a more Gibsony look...
    IMAG0226.

17. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjI3SC1lxo3MixPk9jG3pDYra56y9_YZCz83KMX8gvYSkLGqeGovQo2rEW.

:D

18. slapmachine

slapmachine

Oct 4, 2010
    PV, Kansas
    On the hollowbody electrics and semi hollowbody electrics, I think I like the amp-style knobs a ton. On solid-body electrics, I like the traditional non-numbered Fender skirted, or any type of un-numbered knob.

Best regards,

Brooks

19. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida

KidsBass16a.

20. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements